Fan device using Masquerade

Posted on
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 pm
srkinard offline

Fan device using Masquerade

I've got some GE fan controllers and they show up as dimmers to Indigo, with the following values mapped to the percentages
0 = Off
1-33 = Low
34-66 = Medium
67-100 = High

There's no variance in those ranges...67 is just as fast as 100, etc

I cannot figure out how to handle adding the fans to HomeKit. I don't know what/how HomeKit sees them. Masquerade is set as a speed device with scaling factor of 33.

Anyone have experience with fans in HomeKit? How would I set it up to be able to tell Siri to put the bedroom fan on Medium or whatever?

Thanks!
Ross

Posted on
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm
DU Lou offline

Re: Fan device using Masquerade

I thought I would bump this topic.

Also I am using Insteon fanclinc and can say "Set the Ceiling Fan to 25% " to get low if I wanted but add a +1 on how do we get "low", "medium" ,"high" ...

Thanks!
~Lou

Posted on
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:43 pm
sumocomputers offline

Re: Fan device using Masquerade

I am using Masquerade to control a GE Fan controller and ran into the same issue with HomeBridge, when adding either the Masquerade device or the GE device itself.

So I just added the Fan Controller device directly to HomeBridge rather than the Masquerade device, manually chose type as "Fan", and then in the Home App, I created 4 scenes, for example:

"Living Room Fan Low" (sets the device to 30% within HomeKit)
"Living Room Fan Medium" (sets the device to 60% within HomeKit)
"Living Room Fan High" (sets the device to 100% within HomeKit)
"Living Room Fan OFF" (sets the device to 0% or OFF within HomeKit)

Clunky workaround, but I suspect it is a limitation on Apple's side. Unless you buy a HomeKit Fan, which I suspect would allow for native discrete speed control in the UI.

Page 1 of 1