Error with some characters non US

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:44 am
sandconformgorgecloud offline

Error with some characters non US

Hi, I quite often have this error, even when I'm managing devices not related to the plugin:
Code: Select all
HomeKit Bridge Error            Exception in plug.actionGroupUpdated line 1066: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
                      CODE: self.logger.threaddebug ("Action group '{0}' updated".format(newActionGroup.name))

In the past with other plugins I had similar issues because of devices or groups with European letters like é à è and so.

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 am
yassi offline

Re: Error with some characters non US

sandconformgorgecloud wrote:
Hi, I quite often have this error, even when I'm managing devices not related to the plugin:
Code: Select all
HomeKit Bridge Error            Exception in plug.actionGroupUpdated line 1066: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
                      CODE: self.logger.threaddebug ("Action group '{0}' updated".format(newActionGroup.name))

In the past with other plugins I had similar issues because of devices or groups with European letters like é à è and so.

Thanks!

I had this too, with some plugins.
I'm using German.
Seems to be something related to Python.

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Error with some characters non US

That's actually an error in the plugin - he's attempting to insert a unicode string (newActionGroup.name which is the name of the action group in Indigo and which has a unicode character in it) into an ASCII string (which can't accommodate extended characters). This is a relatively common developer error since Python 2 strings are separated into ASCII and Unicode and you must explicitly use the correct strings.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1