Communication to HomeKit devices from Indigo

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:56 am
erikwegman offline

Communication to HomeKit devices from Indigo

I use the plugin for communicating to z-wave devices from HomeKit but I was wondering if it is possible to communicate To HomeKit devices from Indigo by using the Homekit Bridge? I would like, for instance, make an action group with both z-wave and HomeKit devices in it. If it is possible, is there a hoot or something to be able to set this up?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Communication to HomeKit devices from Indigo

As far as I know, it's a one-way street. Stuff outside of the HomeKit ecosystem can't control HomeKit devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:29 pm
webdeck offline

Re: Communication to HomeKit devices from Indigo

It is a massive hack, but here is how I was able to control a Homekit-only device from Indigo by using Siri. I found this path through some Google searching.

First, enable Type to Siri in System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Siri.

Second, use a Python script with the keyboard module to issue command-space, wait a bit, and then type the request to Siri, and then press enter. Several permission dialogs have to be granted to get it working.

It worked great in testing, but in reality, it failed because I want to lock the screen on my server so it can't be accessed, so then command-space stops working.

So then what I did was use Parallels Desktop to run a VM image running Mojave on my Indigo Server, so that its screen can remain unlocked even when the server's screen is actually locked. I setup type to Siri and the script, and turned on ssh. Finally, I have Indigo issue the command over ssh to the VM.

As I said, it is a massive hack, and will probably break with some Apple update, but so far it has been working.

Page 1 of 1