Siri Watch does things different than Siri iPhone ?

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 am
PeteVis offline

Siri Watch does things different than Siri iPhone ?

This is certainly not a problem with the fantastic Homekit Bridge plugin, but I thought this would be the most appropriate forum to ask.

Siri Watch, Siri Phone and Homekit Bridge have been working wonderfully for months now, until suddenly Siri Watch seems to have grown a mind of her own.

I have 2 devices, Gate and Castle. The gate is my driveway gate, Castle is my home state (in Indigo I call it alarm, but the word alarm is reserved, so I named it castle).

I have been telling Siri to open and close the gate and the castle, and it is has always worked perfectly.
Last week however, I drove up to my house (it's a busy street), so when I approach, I politely ask Siri to open the gate.
Suddenly she answers "Your castle has been opened".
And indeed, she instead turned of the alarm, and left the gate closed.

I tried all sorts of stuff, but the strange thing is, that Siri iPhone, does work like she should, it's only Siri Watch that is mixing up my devices.
I have now restarted the watch and phone, but still Siri Watch refuses to do the right thing, while Siri iPhone is much more obliging..

I've seen this before, that there is a difference between Siri Watch and Siri iPhone, which I find a bit odd, but now that Siri Watch is acting wrongly on my command, I find a bit frustrating.
Has AI finally taken over :mrgreen:

Anyway, is this something that someone has experienced before, and does anybodyhave any tips to resolve this ?

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Siri Watch does things different than Siri iPhone ?

One of the issues I've had with the watch is that it doesn't comprehend as well or act as fast as any other method. It has been frustrating enough for me that I only tell Siri to control something from my watch about 20% of the time (down from 80%) because when I ask the phone to do it then it is understood 99% of the time.

Now I have just a Series 2 watch so that's part of the problem - the slower processor - but I can't tell you how many times I say "Hey Siri, open the garage door" and it can't connect or says it opened it when it didn't on my watch (very seldom does it say it did something that it didn't).

That's all anecdotal because I don't have an answer for your issue, but have shared some frustration with talking to the watch vs talking to my phone. I only use my watch for convenience now because it's one device that does not have to be unlocked to control security devices (i.e., doors, windows, locks, etc). In my house 97% of my commands process through my HomePods, 2% through my phone/tablet and 1% though my watch. Outside the house its 80/20 phone/watch.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 am
rehafer offline

For another datum point: I have a Series 3 watch and while it was a big speed boost from the original Apple Watch, it’s still the slowest way to use Siri and is also easily ‘confused ‘.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I got my wife the latest series 4 with wifi and GPS for Christmas, I'll be curious how much better (if at all) it is than previous generates at Siri commands.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:48 pm
Londonmark offline

Same issue with series 3.

I also have a new behavioural weirdness. When away from home Siri says “I can’t do that” in response to HomeKit requests. If used the Home App it works perfectly. Same on watch and phone. Any thoughts? Was fine until a couple of weeks ago and I don’t think I’ve changed anything.

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:58 am
PeteVis offline

I'm also using a series 3, and can confirm what all of you mention, sometimes there seems to be a slow connection from watch to phone, sometimes no connection at all (even when holding them side by side), and sometimes she just tells me "I can't do that" as Londonmark mentions.

Siri on the phone is certainly more robust, but not as handy while driving... I still use an iPhone that acutally fits in my pocket, so it's hard to pull out while driving.

It's just the mixing up of commands on the watch vs iphone that I find baffling... especially since I haven't installed or changed anything the last few months.
There are updates pending for both watch and iphone, I'll see if those rectify my rogue siri...

Page 1 of 1