Good news in iOS 11.4 Beta

Posted on
Tue May 01, 2018 8:48 pm
Different Computers offline

Good news in iOS 11.4 Beta

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed May 02, 2018 12:11 am
durosity offline

Re: Good news in iOS 11.4 Beta

Oh cool, that’s handy! I’m hoping that iOS 12 (or iPhone Xs if it needs hardware changes) will have the same functionality as the HomePod in that it won’t stop the music playing when Siri is activated. Then this will be truly useful! Well.. at least when I upgrade everything to airplay 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 10:12 am

Today is the day!

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/29/io ... ses-today/

A tvOS update that will theoretically offer AirPlay2 compatibility is also available.

So far at least, none of my Airport Expresses seem to be compatible.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 1:50 pm
virgahyatt offline

updated to 11.4 and airplay2 is alive and working great for me. And no the Airport Express is not an option for Airplay 2, nor do I expect it will be.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm

As before, there's also no way to send to a Mac, even after updating to iTunes 12.7.5.

This is going to be a tough call between letting Indigo/iTunes pump automated music everywhere, vs. HomePod control of music that only comes from the HomePod and the ATV. In particular, the Apple Watch integration to Homepod control is very nice. Much more responsive than the Apple Remote app on the watch.

Posted on
Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm
howartp offline

Different Computers wrote:
As before, there's also no way to send to a Mac, even after updating to iTunes 12.7.5.

I’ve not followed this thread, but have you looked at AirFoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 pm

I use Airfoil a LOT actually. But AirFoil doesn't run on a HomePod, doesn't interface with Siri for Apple Music directly, and does not support AirPlay 2 at least in as much as enabling a Mac or iOS device to be AirPlay 2 compatible.

This is what I mean about the choice between HomePod and AirPlay 2 or Indigo and iTunes controlling my music. The latter gives me potentially more fine control and allows me to keep using my whole house audio including Airport Expresses, but that fine control has to be all rolled by hand and requires a lot of work arounds to get Siri working with it. The former means having to invest in new AP2 receivers or doing without, but offers much more natural Siri control all the way down to "I don't like this song" and "Play the latest podcast."

In the best of all possible world AirFoil 2 would be AirPlay 2 compatible. That would be the perfect version of both.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:58 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I use Airfoil a LOT actually.

As do I. I love Airfoil!

But AirFoil doesn't run on a HomePod, doesn't interface with Siri for Apple Music directly

It doesn't? I route to my HomePods on a daily basis and I often use iTunes with my Apple Music subscription on my Indigo computer to broadcast to every Airplay device, including the HomePods. It's been my "Airplay 2" for ages now and has worked pretty darn well actually.

I'm sure that Airplay 2 is on the radar for Airfoil, they just need to figure out whether or not AP2 may make them obsolete - which I don't think it will until Apple gives much more granular control to speaker via HomeKit. They came a long way in the latest updates but it's not Airfoil quality just yet. Airfoil has some sync problems between some different devices - i.e., I cannot expect my HomePods to be in sync with my Apple TV's, but like devices are perfectly (or nearly so) in sync.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am

AirFoil can broadcast to a HomePod no problem, of course. But I'm talking about AirFoil being resident ON the HomePod, and using the HomePod's music library as the source to send to other AirFoil devices.

I want the best of both worlds:

HomePod Music Library
"Hey Siri, add this to my 'Energy' Playlist."
"Hey Siri, I don't like this song."
"Hey Siri, who sings this song?"

iTunes Music Library:
AirFoil broadcasting to other Macs, iOS devices, Airport Expresses.
Indigo Integration

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:36 am

Looks like there's hope in iOS 12 beta, at least for now:

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am
virgahyatt offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I use Airfoil a LOT actually.

As do I. I love Airfoil!

But AirFoil doesn't run on a HomePod, doesn't interface with Siri for Apple Music directly

It doesn't? I route to my HomePods on a daily basis and I often use iTunes with my Apple Music subscription on my Indigo computer to broadcast to every Airplay device, including the HomePods. It's been my "Airplay 2" for ages now and has worked pretty darn well actually.

I'm sure that Airplay 2 is on the radar for Airfoil, they just need to figure out whether or not AP2 may make them obsolete - which I don't think it will until Apple gives much more granular control to speaker via HomeKit. They came a long way in the latest updates but it's not Airfoil quality just yet. Airfoil has some sync problems between some different devices - i.e., I cannot expect my HomePods to be in sync with my Apple TV's, but like devices are perfectly (or nearly so) in sync.

Itunes on the mac does not currently support Airplay 2. Which means that while you can send to multiple speakers there is no "guarantee" that they will stay in sync. Also, if you have a pair of home pods and put them in stereo mode you will only be able to play to one of them from iTunes.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am
durosity offline

Looks like there's hope in iOS 12 beta, at least for now:

What is that? Airport expresses showing up again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 am

Yes.

Though the guy who posted the pic said they would not pair with HomeKit--yet.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:03 pm
durosity offline

Interesting.. I’d REALLY love this. At present I have Airplay in every room in my house including the garden and garage. 3 of them are serviced by Apple TV 4/4Ks so they’re already on airplay 2. 5 are serviced via old Mk 1 Airport Expresses (they’ll never get Airplay 2 support) and a handful of stand alone speakers. If Apple allowed the newer Airport Expresses to be added that’d make life a LOT easier for me. Then over time I can replace the speakers with HomePods and eventually we’ll have Multi-room nirvana!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
At present I have Airplay in every room in my house including the garden and garage. 3 of them are serviced by Apple TV 4/4Ks so they’re already on airplay 2. 5 are serviced via old Mk 1 Airport Expresses

Sounds like we have similar setups. My old expresses, which were the primary means that I had Indigo talking and distributing music until Apple TV 4-ish, keep getting bumped to places where they get used the least because while they work fine with Airfoil I know their time is limited - and they require an amplifier if you want do really do anything more than small sound.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here