How are people using HomeKit and home kit bridge?

Posted on
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm
noel1983 offline

How are people using HomeKit and home kit bridge?

Hi all,
Just wondered how people are using C4W’s awesome HomeKit bridge within their setups?

Our house is all iphone but with amazon echo’s in almost every room so 99% of voice interaction is through alexa (and the hue bridge plugin which works great).

I’ve configured home kit bridge and it works great, just wondering if there’s functionality I’m missing or is it primarily an alternative to allow me to use Siri instead of Alexa?

Cheers all

Noel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: How are people using HomeKit and home kit bridge?

While on the surface both systems seem similar, there are some substantial differences with device support. HomeKit can perform more native actions than Alexa because Alexa is based on the Hue's ability to turn on/off/dim devices, while HomeKit understands sprinklers and fans and thermostats and lights and a whole host of other things.

You can do plenty with Alexa, don't get me wrong, that's what I used before the HomePod came out, but I like having everything the same when I'm in my car, at home or where ever. Alexa has gotten much smarter with being able to define terms (i.e., Alexa, good night), things that HomeKit has always done natively.

I also like the HomeKit interface itself, in Eve and in Apple Home. I haven't used a control page in quite some time but I look at Eve/Home a lot these days to get a quick and easy way to see, for instance, the temperatures across 15 or so temperature sensors throughout the house.

I think they are both pretty close, but if you want to get really technical with stuff, such as CO2 sensors and irrigation controls and all of that, then Siri's your gal.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:15 pm
siclark offline

I also have Alexa in all rooms and iPhones. I use siri a little, mainly if in the garden to unlock the gate with muddy hands but the main reason I wanted homekit was for the iOS app.

I don't have the time to build great control pages and the Home iOS app gives an easy to use mobile app that wife and family can all easily understand and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm
noel1983 offline

Cheers Si, I’d only added on device but now I’ve just added 6 or 7 including my front door lock which it’s seeing as a lock with no issues then I completely get it for the app/visual side of things.

Definitely interested to hear how others are using it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I do like being able to say "Hey Siri, open curtains to 35%" rather than "Alexa, set curtains to 35%" - it may not be much but it i more accurate. Along those same likes I like being able to tell siri to lock or unlock my door and that in doing that it MUST be done on my phone for security purposes - if I enabled that on Alexa it I would have to call it something innocuous like "Alexa, turn on toilet sewage system" so that nobody would guess it's a lock :).

There are other aspects "Hey Siri, what is the light level of the bedroom"... "Your bedroom light level is currently 326".

I just think Siri has a more natural speech system. If you want to get a better idea you should check out the HKB wiki and see all the various devices currently supported. Pretty soon there will be full audio system control as well.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:41 am
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
if I enabled that on Alexa it I would have to call it something innocuous like "Alexa, turn on toilet sewage system" so that nobody would guess it's a lock :)

If you did that you might end up with Frank Drebbin in your house looking for all that lovely raw sewage...

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am
noel1983 offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I do like being able to say "Hey Siri, open curtains to 35%" rather than "Alexa, set curtains to 35%" - it may not be much but it i more accurate. Along those same likes I like being able to tell siri to lock or unlock my door and that in doing that it MUST be done on my phone for security purposes - if I enabled that on Alexa it I would have to call it something innocuous like "Alexa, turn on toilet sewage system" so that nobody would guess it's a lock :).

There are other aspects "Hey Siri, what is the light level of the bedroom"... "Your bedroom light level is currently 326".

I just think Siri has a more natural speech system. If you want to get a better idea you should check out the HKB wiki and see all the various devices currently supported. Pretty soon there will be full audio system control as well.

Awesome thanks for this, cool being able to ask the status of things

Page 1 of 1