HomeKit Bridge Q&A

Posted on
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

HomeKit Bridge Q&A

Since someone has posted a question in the Beta testing thread about HomeKit Bridge (HKB) I thought it might be a good idea to have a topic for those kinds of questions. Particularly during the Beta testing of this plugin there is a lot of information that people aren't up-to-speed on in regards to the Integration or how it works or any of that.

That being said, there is a very good (and constantly growing) FAQ for HKB but it's currently inaccessible to the public as it's on a private Git with the Beta, however the Beta will likely enter open Beta in the next week or two so you may have access to that fairly soon. But if it's not there or you don't yet have access then fire away and I'll answer as much as possible.

Posted on
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:40 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Q&A

jalves wrote:
Enjoying following the quick progress of this project. Big thank you to C4W and all the beta testers!!!!

Any plans to support Bala/Somfy blinds in this plug-in?

FYI, I couldn't find a way to move my post ahead of this one so I had to remove it, sorry Jalves :)

I can only answer that as maybe. What I prefer to see is to have HomeKit Bridge be hard coded for anything that is native to indigo and then deal with plugins in a different way. It's sort of a rabbit hole where I would have to add support for every plugin eventually, potentially destabilizing the plugin in the process over time. There will eventually be a method for people to customize the device mapping so that, literally, anything is supported but I haven't worked out all of the details on that. There is another method that I'm actively working on but don't want to reveal it just yet, but this won't directly answer your question but rather is the long-term solution.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 am
berkinet offline

Existing homebridge-indigo installation

I have an existing homebridge-indigo installation. I have never installed Homebridge Buddy. I have searched, but been unable to find, any specific instructions regarding upgrading from homebridge-indigo to HomeKit Bridge. Here are my questions/assumption checks.
  • I assume I must stop homebridge-indigo from loading with launchctl (using a launch agent). Right?
  • From a quick look at the HomeKit Bridge package, it looks like it contains everything needed, like node.js, etc. Right?
  • Is there any way to take advantage of my existing homebridge-indigo (~/.homebridge/config.json)? Or, do I just start from scratch with HomeKit Bridge and redefine everything?
  • Are there any other tips or pointers I should know about?

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

berkinet wrote:
I have searched, but been unable to find, any specific instructions regarding upgrading from homebridge-indigo to HomeKit Bridge

Homebridge Buddy was developed initially as a management tool for Homebridge-indigo, so there's no migration path from one to the other. It then became a self contained version of Homebridge-Indigo and now has been rewritten as HomeKit Bridge. Confused yet?

berkinet wrote:
I assume I must stop homebridge-indigo from loading with launchctl (using a launch agent). Right?

You don't have to, you can run both side-by-side, which may be preferable so you can slowly migrate between the two. Eventually I think you'll want to stop it from running automatically though just because if it's not in use then why continue to run it?

berkinet wrote:
From a quick look at the HomeKit Bridge package, it looks like it contains everything needed, like node.js, etc. Right?

Yes, it is 100% self contained. That being said you may have added Homebridge add-ons to Homebridge-Indigo that are not supported so you may evaluate that first.

berkinet wrote:
Is there any way to take advantage of my existing homebridge-indigo (~/.homebridge/config.json)? Or, do I just start from scratch with HomeKit Bridge and redefine everything?

Starting over is really the only way, but you can do it slowly (see two questions above).

berkinet wrote:
Are there any other tips or pointers I should know about?

HomeKit Bridge, while quite stable, is beta so know that going into this. The slow migration might be best suited for you so that if something isn't quite 100% you still have your existing setup. For me, I migrated entirely a while ago, as have many - if not most - of the people using HomeKit Bridge. In fact I think that Webdeck, who developed Homebridge-Indigo, has mostly migrated to HKB too.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 am
durosity offline

I’ve fully migrated, so far it’s been exceptionally stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 am
berkinet offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
...HomeKit Bridge, while quite stable, is beta so know that going into this.
No problem. As a world-class procrastinator, I am a firm believer in never finishing anything.

C4W also wrote:
The slow migration might be best suited for you so that if something isn't quite 100% you still have your existing setup.
I'll probably just do a slash cut-over... but use the existing conf as a guide to what I need to implement.

Thanks for the response/answers/advice

Posted on
Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 pm
eightball offline

Late to the game and only occasionally dealing with my indigo (which is good because it just works).

So at some point I installed Homebridge (but never installed Buddy).

Now looks like I should update to HomeKit Bridge, yes?

I see I can migrate slowly (great!). What I'm not clear on is how do I uninstall Homebridge once I'm done migrating.

Can someone point me towards some directions?

Thanks indebted to all of this hard work and endless hours,

Anthony

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Sorry, been away on vacation.

Yes, you should upgrade to HomeKit Bridge, it's the latest and most stable of all the generations of HomeKit integration. As for pointing to directions, in what regards do you need them? You can check out the Wiki listed at the top of the HKB thread and there's a quick start guide that might be a good place to start.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:33 am
Different Computers offline

Is there a good chance of messing up my existing HKB install if I tried to make homebridge-camera work separately? I'm not all that clear on how HomeKit manages separate homebridges and what sort of complication I might run in to there.

HKB is rock solid for me, even with my crappy CenturyLink internet. I'd hate to mess that up trying to add cameras, especially since I know camera support is on the HKB roadmap.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Vacation? VACATION? What makes you think you deserve a vacation? I dunno.. kids today.. *grumble grumble*

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:28 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
I'd hate to mess that up trying to add cameras, especially since I know camera support is on the HKB roadmap

Far more than that, it's fully working with SecuritySpy and Blue Iris. What is on the roadmap is just plugging in generic IP cameras that aren't attached to either of those systems.

durosity wrote:
Vacation? VACATION? What makes you think you deserve a vacation? I dunno.. kids today.. *grumble grumble*

You have no idea how much I needed to get offline and disconnect. It was bliss. I work a lot and put in horrendous hours and when I burn out I burn out hard, this was the hardest burnout I've had in years and I'm not fully recharged. I would say that I went from 1% on my charge to maybe 75% so it's quite a good start. I'm taking another vacation soon to try to get that last 25%.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm
durosity offline

Well I’m glad you’re refreshed!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:07 pm
eightball offline

Okay, do I need to do anything other than delete homebridge? I vaguely remember some launchd install process - do I need to delete anything else?

Thanks for all the brilliant work.

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Yes, you should upgrade to HomeKit Bridge, it's the latest and most stable of all the generations of HomeKit integration. As for pointing to directions, in what regards do you need them? You can check out the Wiki listed at the top of the HKB thread and there's a quick start guide that might be a good place to start.

Posted on
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am
Different Computers offline

No one has thoughts on this?

I'm also considering installing homebridge-camera on another computer entirely, to keep any chance of messing up HKB to a minimum.

Edit: Never mind. Spent a couple hours poking at it, and my issues with getting the config.json to be something home bridge doesn't complain about are vague enough to be un-googleable. I'll wait.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:59 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I had posted a lengthy reply to that, it must not have saved or something....

My answer was that SecuritySpy and BlueIris are supported natively in the plugin, general IP cameras are on the roadmap but not yet implemented. Without retyping everything I typed before, what kind of setup are you talking about?

Check Them Out Here