HomeKit Bridge Q&A

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Q&A

Different Computers wrote:
Cameras are currently only supported with Security Spy in the mix, right?

And Blue Iris. 2.0 will have support for custom camera feeds (as well as a host of other neat stuff).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:58 pm
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
durosity wrote:
FYI at the moment the plugin doesn't do the rich notifications for cameras.. I think C4W is planning that at a later date. I'm really looking forward to that plus the complications to add things like 'open garage door' to my garage camera feed, etc.

That is quite difficult. I've played at it and it's not going to be something that pops in with complications. A couple folks have managed to get this done but there is no documentation on how it was done so it's stabbing in the dark. Heck, it's taken this long to finally figure out how the best utilize the Irrigation features of HomeKit!

Damn shame.. that’s the one thing I find frustrating with my current setup. I appreciate you having investigated it though.

Roll on HKB 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
Damn shame.. that’s the one thing I find frustrating with my current setup.

I want it too and that means I'll keep trying to figure out how to make it work. Undocumented and hacked API's just take time (i.e., Tado).

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
durosity wrote:
Damn shame.. that’s the one thing I find frustrating with my current setup.

I want it too and that means I'll keep trying to figure out how to make it work. Undocumented and hacked API's just take time (i.e., Tado).

Well if anyone can do it I believe you’ll be the one!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:40 pm
rgspb offline

I’ve been successfully running HomeKit Bridge for a while now. HomeBridge Buddy is still installed but disabled. Is it safe at this point to uninstall HBB?

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

rgspb wrote:
I’ve been successfully running HomeKit Bridge for a while now. HomeBridge Buddy is still installed but disabled. Is it safe at this point to uninstall HBB?

Absolutely. The only reason to keep HBB is if you find you need the wrappers or aliases for something else.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:47 pm
agame offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Different's solution is the best one to "back feed" a HomeKit only device back to Indigo.

thanks, I was thinking there must be a hack such as this. it's probably adequate for what I need.

As for the Mac version of Home, as far as I can see there won't be any API for that - or if there is then it's going to be very limited like the iOS version is now. I expect a full API in the future but for now no dice so I don't know how straightforward scripting will be. Given the possibilities of serious security breaches I don't think the API will be available for a while - at least not until they figure out a good way to lock it down.

damn. but not surprising.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm
mundmc offline

Sorry if this has been asked, but is the Amazon Alexa skill from you? https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Man-54- ... B07B9QMTFQ

If so, does it work with HomekitBridge without any other tweaks/ installations/ command line npm magic?

Great plugin- really ups the quality of UI/UX and Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:20 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Not mine but it theoretically should work with HKB, I’m going to try it out tonight.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I just looked, it requires a special plugin. HKB cannot do extra plugins but Homebridge Indigo can, but that is no longer supported or updated so you would be on your own.

I may investigate incorporating this into 2.0.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:02 pm
mundmc offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I just looked, it requires a special plugin. HKB cannot do extra plugins but Homebridge Indigo can, but that is no longer supported or updated so you would be on your own.

I may investigate incorporating this into 2.0.
Using Alexa speech recognition on a Kindle Android-based os to control Indigo via Homekit? Sounds like platform-agnostic nirvana!

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Using Alexa speech recognition on a Kindle Android-based os to control Indigo via Homekit? Sounds like platform-agnostic nirvana!

I like the idea but bear in mind that Alexa is mostly a lights on/off system, it lacks 90% of the functionality of HomeKit so there will be plenty of limits. Even the skill developer says it only works with a few devices. But, it’s a start.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 pm
agame offline

I just migrated one of my Indigo setups to from HBB to HKB ... no drama and so much more functionality just appeared, such as colour control. Fantastic! Cameras (via Security Spy) also work perfectly.

One sanity-check, only part of the functionality of an air conditioner controller device is exposed (ie no fan control, though its visible to Indigo). I assume this is a HomeKit limitation?

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:50 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

agame wrote:
I assume this is a HomeKit limitation?

Probably not, it's likely a plugin limitation. The current version of HKB requires that I hard code that into the plugin, the next generation (in development) lets you use or define profiles so you can support anything.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:11 pm
agame offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
agame wrote:
I assume this is a HomeKit limitation?

...the next generation (in development) lets you use or define profiles so you can support anything.

oh cool!