Home Devices all stuck in Updating

Posted on
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:29 pm
jltnol offline

Home Devices all stuck in Updating

Haven't really made any changes recently, but now all my devices tied to the Home app thru the HomeKit Bridge are either stuck in UPDATING mode or in "NO RESPONSE". I've rebuilt the HomeKit Bridge home folder a few times, have restarted, but still nothing is happening.

Not even sure where to start trying to fix this... is this an issue with the plugin? or with the Home app?

I did just upgrade my phone to 15.2, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm getting the same error messages in the Home app running on the same computer as Indigo....

Also am running Homebridge and just updated the HI to 4.41.4, but don't think that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions ?

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 am
jltnol offline

Re: Home Devices all stuck in Updating

Ok so this took awhile to get fixed.

In the end, I deleted the existing Homekit Bridge "Accessory" in HomeKit, and then just added it again, which populated all of my 'bridge devices' back into HomeKit.

It was a long road to arrive at this conclusion, but I'll spare you the twists and turns of the journey. Don't know why this happened, except for the possibility of my going back to a Indigo Database that was a few days older, but short of that I'm clueless as to what caused this to happen.

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:44 am
siclark offline

Same happened to me a month ago, not sure if it was around an update, possibly, and in the end did the same as you. Painful 30 minutes setting everything back into right rooms, i have a lot of devices, and bridges but allworking ok again now.

Posted on
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:18 pm
7rdr7 offline

I'm seeing a similar issue, so will follow your leads and rebuild my database. Thanks for sharing. A couple of things have come to mind before doing so.
- HKB is running on Homebridge version is 0.4.38, and the current Homebridge version is 1.3.9. I'm running Homebridge 1.3.9 for a number of other non-Indigo devices and it's working fine. I wonder if being so far behind in Homebridge is starting to affect the plugin. Does anyone know if there is a way to update the embedded version of Homebridge within HKB?
- Will @Webdeck decide to update his "Homebridge Indigo" plugin for Homebridge, which I believe is the basis for @Colorado4Wheeler's HKB? I think HKB is just the configuration interface. I started with Webdeck's Homebridge plugin and although more tedious to set up, worked fine.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:09 pm
dduff617 offline

I had started messing around with a simple HomeKit Bridge experimental setup a long while ago and at some later point, started seeing all my devices in "updating" state. I'm now just getting around to trying to fix and I stumbled across this thread. Thanks for posting the info.

I can report that followed the guidance above and removed the Homekit Accessory Server device (I only have one defined currently) from the Homekit configuration, then added it back and everything is working.

For me in my current "experimental" phase, this was a fine solution. I hope this is not something that needs to be done often, as it does have some side-effects. For example, when the associated devices get removed from HomeKit, you lose some state like "favorites" status as well as scenes and things that might have involved those devices.

Posted on
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:48 am
Ironalchemy offline

Just to add another example of this issue, my server with Indigo on it crashed last night. MacOS 12.1. I suspect an issue reported on other fora with macOS Monterey crashing in clamshell mode but do not know for sure the source of the crash.

I had to rebuild the folder for HKB to get it to start in Indigo. Following that, all Devices in the Home App were stuck in updating. As others have noted. removing the HomeKit bridge from the Home app, re-adding it, and reconfiguring all the devices and scenes in the Home app fixed the problem.

Page 1 of 1