Presence detection inconsistent

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:29 pm
bbbullock offline

Presence detection inconsistent

We are using the real MAC IDs (not the Private WiFi address option in iOS) of our iPhones to detect when the house is occupied and unoccupied. The uniFi plugin is configured as recommended...pretty sure about this yet might've missed something. Presence detection is inconsistent at best. A monitored device will go "Expired" even when the device is present on the network. And then it will suddenly appear again.

What should I do to eliminate this problem? Is there a plugin setting I'm missing? Is there a better way to accomplish presence detection?

Thanks!

Brian

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:19 am
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Presence detection inconsistent

bbbullock wrote:
We are using the real MAC IDs (not the Private WiFi address option in iOS) of our iPhones to detect when the house is occupied and unoccupied. The uniFi plugin is configured as recommended...pretty sure about this yet might've missed something. Presence detection is inconsistent at best. A monitored device will go "Expired" even when the device is present on the network. And then it will suddenly appear again.

What should I do to eliminate this problem? Is there a plugin setting I'm missing? Is there a better way to accomplish presence detection?

Thanks!

Brian

You may have already gone down this road but I know that iPhones will disconnect from WiFi when in sleep mode sometimes. Here's a link to someone that had solutions to that same problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250285673

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:28 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Presence detection inconsistent

I believe that describes the opposite

What you could do: Have a shell script running that does a ping to the iPhone every 15 secs. That might keep it awake . But will use more battery.

Unifyap and fingscan have the option to do pings in parallel to just reading the unify tables / listening to up traffic

Karl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1