duplicate devices for APs, how to manage

Posted on
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:11 pm
dtich offline

duplicate devices for APs, how to manage

hey Karl, et al,

thanks again for continuing to help with this.

i have the originally created APs that i have named and are tracked and have icons and data on control pages - great!

but, i have now <<new>> aps auto-created by the plugin, that have supplanted the original ones and... are <<not>> the devices i've programmed... same MAC numbers, but... diff indigo object. so, nothing works. kinda frustrating.

is there a setting i've got wrong? how can i keep the plugin from recreating a device for an existing MAC number? impossible to build a system if it changes dev #s on me.

what can i do? thanks!!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 7.04.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 7.04.50 PM.png (190.27 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:51 pm
dtich offline

Re: duplicate devices for APs, how to manage

any update on this? it seems almost random whether the plugin considers the device up or down. i have 2 devices each with same mac address and one will be up and one will be down. how can i manage this? i'd like only the set/named device to be used and updated states... sometimes the orig one updates to up and sometimes the new one. no idea how to deal with that.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.49.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.49.36 PM.png (62.81 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

is it that one set is from wifi id's and the other is from enet? i suppose i could just delete the ones i don't want again, but they will presumably just repopulate at some point. so that's not a solve.

any thoughts when you get a chance is helpful, thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.57.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 1.57.38 PM.png (58.12 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

and see here there are now two with same mac listed as up, which if that is how it happens all the time would be fine, just ignore one set as it's a complete dupe, but you can see by the other ap even in that screenshot that they are indeed separate devices with separate states...

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 pm
kw123 offline

The UniFi devices. Switches, routers, wifi ap are represented by 2 device types
1- devtype UniFi = client like any other device
2. devtypes switchxx, ap, Gateway.
The 2. devtypes are not always updated regularly as they do not send anything but are used to send commands to them or read their tables or listen to their message logs.

In addition the gateway might show up as several devices with dev type UniFi =client as they might send packages with different mac numbers and then get noticed by other devices( ie switches) as new clients
And the plugin treats any client it receives from switches/ APs as a regular UniFi device: new mac number = new UniFi device

I know I have to clean this one up.

Karl.

Posted on
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:20 pm
dtich offline

thanks for the update Karl!

that explains it, and i will stop stressing about it. :D and whenever you get to it thanks a lot.

ps - i don't know if you're setup for user support contributions, but i'd like to if you are. you can dm me here if you'd like.

thanks again for everything.

Page 1 of 1