Device presence goes "down" even when present and active

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:30 am
bbbullock offline

Device presence goes "down" even when present and active

I am monitoring two devices up/down status to determine house occupied/vacant status. Both are iPhones. One an iPhone 11 Pro and the other an iPhone 12 Pro.

In what seems to be a random way, one or both devices goes into a "down" status...and when it happens to both at the same time, the house goes into shut down despite the fact that both phones are present and active on the wifi network.

I've attached pics of the plugin configuration and the device settings for one of the two devices (both are using the same settings).

NOTE: all software/firmware is up-to-date on all devices, including on the iPhones, Unifi APs, USG, etc etc Plugin version 7.33.290

What might I need to tweak in order to stop this from happening?

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.01.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.01.32 AM.png (305.99 KiB) Viewed 1772 times

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.18.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.18.43 AM.png (320.75 KiB) Viewed 1772 times

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.25.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.25.27 AM.png (242.92 KiB) Viewed 1772 times

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:24 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Device presence goes "down" even when present and active

@bbbullock: try v .293.

apparently the system prompt on the new software versions for SOME of the wifi AP has changed. ( from ... BZ.v.55.66.77.88 .. to ...BZ.55.66.77.88 dropping the "v."
effect: the plugin did not connect to the var/log/message log on these wifi Ap and hence did not get info from these ap.

you could see that in the plugin.log file . the listened process for these AP restarted every xx secs.

hope that will fix it.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:57 pm
bbbullock offline

Thanks for the quick reply. I've upgraded to v .293 and will keep an eye on it.

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:43 pm
bbbullock offline

bbbullock wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I've upgraded to v .293 and will keep an eye on it.

So...two random non-explained shut downs today. The .293 update must not have fixed the problem. Is there something I can send to help further troubleshoot the issue?

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Device presence goes

How long did you run it?
If it is 2 in the whole day it might be that the iPhones go to sleep and after some time it expires

Please do
Menu track specific mac .. select the iPhone and let it run.

Then post plugin.log or better email the file /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.4/Logs/com.karlwachs.uniFiAP/plugin.log
after it goes down

and just posted v 294. That version will autodetect the prompt on the AP, GW, Switches, Controller if the default prompt does not work.

send to:
Karlwachs me com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:19 pm
bbbullock offline

kw123 wrote:
How long did you run it?
If it is 2 in the whole day it might be that the iPhones go to sleep and after some time it expires

Please do
Menu track specific mac .. select the iPhone and let it run.

Then post plugin.log or better email the file /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.4/Logs/com.karlwachs.uniFiAP/plugin.log
after it goes down

and just posted v 294. That version will autodetect the prompt on the AP, GW, Switches, Controller if the default prompt does not work.

send to:
Karlwachs me com

Thanks - I've set up logging as you suggested and will email you the log file when/if it happens. Of note, we've gone all day today without an issue.

I've also upgraded to .294

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:04 pm
agame offline

I've experimented with this approach to presence detection, and not found it reliable (as a sole detection method) owing to phones eventually dropping off the network, presumably for power saving reasons.

It certainly works to detect 'arrival' and coupled with logic using armed state of a security system I find I can create a much more workable algorithm.

I'd assumed this was an inherent limitation of using the device presence approach but would be interested if not!

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:38 pm
kw123 offline

The only solution that I have found to be 100% reliable ( no false + - ) in over a year is pibeacon with ibeacons.

Now with the new option of the flat rechargeable Innway beacon card you can attach it to the iPhone or put it in your wallet and have presence and location within the house ( if you have several rpi).

To my knowledge there is no other solution on any home automation system that comes close.

Karl
Ps I just have to say it sometimes

Page 1 of 1