Triggering a uniFi-WiFi-AP event with Protect 4 Doorbell

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 am
madscientist offline

Triggering a uniFi-WiFi-AP event with Protect 4 Doorbell

I just replaced my Ring doorbell with a UniFi Protect G4 Doorbell. I already had a UniFi Dream Machine Pro, UniFi 16-port PoE switch, and three UniFi APs, so replacing the cheap plastic Ring doorbell with a slick UniFi device that can integrate with my UniFi environment was a no-brainer.

The Dream Machine Pro has a built in NVR, so I no longer have to pay monthly Ring fees to access my own doorbell videos. I also have a very narrow space next to my door, so the slim Protect G4 Doorbell fits much better in that space than the fat Ring did.

Having said that, a missing feature in the Protect G4 is the ability to make an announcement on my Amazon Echo devices. I have an Amazon Echo in every room of the house, and outside on the deck. When somebody would ring the Ring doorbell Alexa would announce "Someone is at your door". This is especially handy when I am in the backyard where I can't hear the doorbell.

Is there a way to configure the uniFi-WiFi-AP plug-in so that it triggers an Indigo event when somebody rings the UniFi Protect G4 Doorbell? If so, I can use node-red to trigger an Alexa announcement. If not, consider this a feature request. :-)
Attachments
UniFi_Protect_G4_doorbell.jpg
UniFi_Protect_G4_doorbell.jpg (221.63 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:17 am
Korey offline

Re: Triggering a uniFi-WiFi-AP event with Protect 4 Doorbell

I wonder If you have seen the Protect HomeKit plugin ?

You may be able to use homebridge-protect via homebridge-config-ui-x to fire events via homebridge to Alexa?

I have this running on my system along with the Indigo HomeKit bridge, but do not have a doorbell or Alexa, so no way to test! :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm
madscientist offline

Yes, I actually have homebridge running on a raspberry pi. I have managed to get it to show me a live Protect video feed on my iPhone Home app, and homnekit notifications also come up when somebody rings the the doorbell, but I haven't had any luck in getting the homekit event connected to somewhere else (e.g., node-red, my MQQT broker, or Indigo ) to trigger an Alexa notification.

I have the node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2 palette installed and can use it to trigger a custom Alexa announcement. I just haven't managed to connect the honmebridge alert to node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2.

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:54 am
Korey offline

Santa was kind this year and I left a G4 Doorbell! :D

Very Nice unit, works well, with my UDMP setup!

I would sure like to be able to utilize the PIR sensor motion sensor, receive the button presses in Indigo! also be nice to be able to change the message and turn on or of the night light!

Did you get anywhere with this?

Happy Holidays!

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:03 pm
madscientist offline

Korey wrote:
I would sure like to be able to utilize the PIR sensor motion sensor, receive the button presses in Indigo! also be nice to be able to change the message and turn on or of the night light!

Did you get anywhere with this?

Yes, I managed to connect the uniFi Protect G4 doorbell to Indigo via Homebridge and an MQTT broker, both running on a Raspberry Pi. I use the homebridge-unifi-protect plug-in on Homebridge to detect motion events and button presses from the doorbell. These in turn publish to a topic on the MQTT broker, and Indigo subscribes to this topic to trigger Indigo events.

I am also using node-red along with node-red-contrib-alexa-notifyme running on the Raspberry Pi to trigger Alexa announcements. So now when somebody steps onto my front porch, a few of my Amazon echo devices announce "Somebody is at the front door".

Posted on
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 am
MarcoGT offline

I am also planning to get a G4 Doorbell; but is there a way to get the video/snapshot somewhere when someone rings.
Ok, on the smartphone, but I do not always have the smart home with me (at home I mean)

Posted on
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:23 am
Korey offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I am also planning to get a G4 Doorbell; but is there a way to get the video/snapshot somewhere when someone rings.
Ok, on the smartphone, but I do not always have the smart home with me (at home I mean)

You can now do this with Karls Unifi Plugin!

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 pm
kw123 offline

Installing the doorbell is not trivial.

You need a special chime and a 24v 20+watt transformer

I had to send my UniFi doorbell back was broken. Worked ok with dc no chime. With the chime and proper setup it was rebooting every 5 secs. Getting a new one. The little magic white square box that goes between the button and the chime was bad. I believe it has a relay with a timed on/off function in it. It is a solid device that you can not open.

And my transformer is hidden somewhere in the wall. So I have to open the wall and trace the cable to the transformer.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm
neilk offline

I just upgraded my Doorbird to the Protect G4 Doorbell. A few things to note :-

1) I got fed up of waiting for UK stock, order from BH Photo and delivery was about 5 days with all duties and custom clearance done and pre-paid from the US.

2) In the UK we don't have 24v doorbells, and I already had PoE for my door bird. By changing the PoE to 24v passive it works perfectly from my Unifi PoE switch, it is just passive power and the network connection is still wifi but It works perfectly.

3) Picture quality and responsiveness is worlds better than the door bird. Tempted tp look at more Unifi cameras, as having protect just for the doorbell is a bit of overkill but it just needed a hard drive adding to my UDM Pro. This passes through to Blue Iris without problems.

4) I bit of a fiddle to configure (I needed to setup permissions for a local UDM user with protect permissions) but this is mainly as I have not fully got my head around the UDM vs my old cloud key.

The whole thing with the plugin once setup works really well. Very pleased in making the change as the door bird was by far the worst camera I had and was becoming less responsive to opening the video stream.

Thanks Karl.

Neil

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2022 9:51 am
durosity offline

[quote="madscientist"][quote="Korey"]
Yes, I managed to connect the uniFi Protect G4 doorbell to Indigo via Homebridge and an MQTT broker, both running on a Raspberry Pi. I use the homebridge-unifi-protect plug-in on Homebridge to detect motion events and button presses from the doorbell. These in turn publish to a topic on the MQTT broker, and Indigo subscribes to this topic to trigger Indigo events.

Would it be possible to do that using the MQTT plugins available on Indigo? I've not got any experience with MQTT and tried setting it up but just kept hitting dead-ends. It'd be awesome if I could get Indigo to perform actions when the doorbell is rung!

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1