UniFi Smart Devices Setup

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

UniFi Smart Devices Setup

I was doing a bit of research for a future network overhaul (once money magically appears).. and ran across this pretty good article which talks about separation of devices into VLANs but still allowing discovery; this was a concern of mine in terms of segregation but sounds like it is pretty easy to overcome in the Unifi controller. Note this talks specifically about Chromecast and Home but, of course, would apply to any smart devices which rely on broadcast/multicast traffic to connect.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... Fi-Network

Also, special shout out to @DaveL17 for forcing me down this path, for better or worse. Bill will be in the mail once equipment is purchased, Dave.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:58 pm
siclark offline

Re: UniFi Smart Devices Setup

Thanks. There goes my quiet evening whilst I try this.
But seriously, wanted to know if this were possible for ages, going to try same on some of my other IoT devices.
It will mean the hours I spent reorganising my fixed IP addresses last month needs to be redone though if this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:24 pm
siclark offline

After an hour of playing, and I cant get a wireless device to get allocated an IP device when connecting to the new SSID using a new VLAN which refers to the new network. It connects, and the USG sees the device, but the device doesnt get an IP address.

Giving up for now.

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 am
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Also, special shout out to @DaveL17 for forcing me down this path, for better or worse. Bill will be in the mail once equipment is purchased, Dave.

Can't get blood from a turnip my man.

(I just saw this now -- I wish that phpBB supported @ notifications!)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm
mat offline

This is what I’ve done without knowing why. All the iot devices, plus the kids on one network, with our phones, iPads etc on another vlan. Locked the kids dns down while leaving ours open.

Indigo is on the iot network, and it does take noticeable longer for indigo touch to load via bonjour from the second network. However by setting the ip in indigo touch, it’s instant. This does however mean switch indigo server setting when outside of the network.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1