Dead router detection?

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 pm
Ramias offline

Dead router detection?

Was on a trip this week and my USG “crashed” causing chaos on my home network.

Upon returning I was able to ping the USG (after assigning my machine a static IP) but not SSH to it.

The router is now plugged in to a zwave controller power outlet.

Looking for ideas to reliably detect (from Indigo) when the router is down (but it will still respond to pings so that won’t work).

If SSH to the router fails to connect, I can assume the router is down and start a timer. If SSH still can’t connect after X minutes, power cycle the zwave switch. Or if the controller pushes a “USG Disconnected” message.

Will this plugin log an event that I can trigger from if SS( fails to connect (or more importantly, reconnect)? Or can I use controller alerts as triggers in Indigo with this plugin?

Other ideas?

Was also thinking about just a ping to google or yahoo.com and I feel those failed, assume the router is down.

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Dead router detection?

when you do ssh what is the message?
you could capture that and detect eg connection refused ==> reboot

2. ping http://www.google.com

if no answer fro 5 minutes reboot router. there are many examples posted how to do that one .

I am using not a zwave switch but a ethernet switch. Had zwave / indigo server hung. Then you could ssh into your network and reboot through that switch.- if indigo server is down .

Neverhad a hung USG router. had it for 2+ years

Karl

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 pm
Ramias offline

Is your router powered by PoE?

I think having IDS/IDP turned on is what caused my hanging. Do you have that enabled?

I see the gateway object supports a custom state of status. Does it get that from the controller? I could then just trigger off of that.

Posted on
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm
kw123 offline

Dead router detection?

Status is set to up when a ssh dB dump is received. Then a timer starts ( exp timer) after that time it goes to down and after another exptime *expfactor seconds it goes to expired. When a new dB dump gets received timer is reset and status is up.

When I had the usg3 it was on poe on the switch.
Now I have the usg4 that needs its own power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 am
kw123 offline

ps each unifi system device has likely more than one indigo device
1. the system type device: only gets updated when the device itself delivers its db dump
2. the unifi type : that is the ipnumber you can ping as as any other ip device on the network, it gets updated depending on your setting ( switch,/ router/dhcp/wifi)

Karl

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 pm
chase offline

when you do ssh what is the message?
you could capture that and detect eg connection refused ==> reboot

2. ping http://www.google.com

if no answer fro 5 minutes reboot router. there are many examples posted how to do that one .

I am using not a zwave switch but a ethernet switch. Had zwave / indigo server hung. Then you could ssh into your network and reboot through that switch.- if indigo server is down .

Never had a hung USG router. had it for 2+ years

The router becoming unresponsive does not exactly correlate to whether your indigo instance can ping google. With sustained internet outages, the router would be power cycled many many times and as the USG is running linux and storing its files on internal flash, this is probably not my first choice for reliability.

Most folks would power cycle a cable modem in this fashion (they are pretty much bullet proof in handling unorderly shutdowns due to power disconnects) but I would add more logic to the criteria when deciding to power cycle the USG.

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:47 pm
kw123 offline

checking for the controller system device status in indigo unifi plugin should do the trick (not the ping www.google.com)

if that does not work the controller does not answer and likely has an issue

I would power cycle the controller and wait at least 10 minutes before another power cycle.

Posted on
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Sharek326 offline

Although unrelated to the original question. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with my USG. It would work fine for a few days then become disconnected. I would get it back online and a few days later it would do it again.....finally after some searching I found the answer that worked for me.

Turns out I had installed the latest update that was causing the disconnect and the solution was rolling it back to 4.4.12

Hope that helps with your disconnects.

Posted on
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:34 pm
kw123 offline

i am on 4.4.29.5124212 . no issues . Up for 25 days since I installed my new USG

Page 1 of 1