New device detected

Posted on
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:50 pm
dnomode offline

New device detected

Hello Karl,

Is there a way to setup a trigger whenever a new device connects to the network?

I would like to receive a text message when a new device connects and If possible provide the IP and/or MAC address of the new device.

In my last home, I used your FINGscan plugin and I know it had something like that.

I notice an option in the configuration trigger FINGSCAN. What does this do? What can we do by running both plugins?

Thank you
Edmond

Posted on
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:01 pm
kw123 offline

Re: New device detected

trigger fingscan sends fingscan a teaser to check for changes in UniFi devices.

Then in fingscan you can use Unifi Devices in "EVENTS"

I have added a plugin: homeAway, that does a little more than the EVENTS feature in fingscan.

suggest you try that one out. It uses time gated triggers for fingscan/unifi/iBeacons. The time gate get can be set by any on/off device ie Doors. Checkout the plugin description

Karl

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 pm
MattDinOC offline

I know this is an old post, but for anyone else who wants to get alerts on new devices joining their network... This is very easy to accomplish today. Just make a trigger that fires on "Variable Changed" for "Unifi_New_Device". For my trigger, I am using "Send Pushover Notification" as the action, with the message set to:

Code: Select all
new wifi client detected %%v:1868404065%%

Where that long number is the ID for my Unifi_New_Device variable. That way the push notification contains the MAC address of the new device, and I can assign it a fixed IP in my router if I want to.

Matt

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm
kw123 offline

Don’t use the variable Id. Use the name.
It gets recycled at UniFi start.

I am doing that to reduce the sql logging.
When a variable gets deleted - at least in Postgres- the files get deleted and a new file is opened

With the most recent indigo version I am suppressing the logging of variables but the recycle is still in the code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 2:13 pm
MattDinOC offline

Aww, that's unfortunate. The Pushover action can only substitute the content of a variable when referenced by ID, not by Name.

Not really a big deal -- I can just check the variable state via the Indigo client and get the MAC address that way instead.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 2:28 pm
kw123 offline

W the new logging suppression I can switch that one off
Next release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 pm
kw123 offline

actually it is already removed the delete of the variables for THAT variable ("Unifi_With_IPNumber_Change". So ID or NAME will work both

It is still there for "Unifi_With_Status_Change",
That one changes frequently, but as the login is disabled I am going to remove the delete.

Karl

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 3:11 pm
MattDinOC offline

Thanks for the clarification, Karl... just confirmed that the ID for variable Unifi_New_Device does persist if I reload the plugin. 8)

Page 1 of 1