Help/Advice

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm
dduff617 offline

Help/Advice

I am looking to set up some triggers for a set of sensors I have on the doors of my house. My door sensors have state On when open and Off when closed. I created a simple "All Perimeter Doors" device using Virtual Devices>Device Group that lets me group together my outside doors into a single device that is On when any door is opened and Off when all doors are closed. Simple so far.

Now I decided to include my garage doors into the mix as well. They are controlled/monitored by Insteon IOLincs. The binary input of the IOLInc tells me the state of a magnetic door sensor on the garage doors. So I was hoping Device Extensions could help me create a kind of wrapper device for each IOLinc that would simply be On when open and Off when closed.

I tried creating a device, (let's call it D) that uses the IOLinc attached to my garage door (let's call it G), and looks at the Binary Input 1 state. This looks promising so far. When I tried using/testing this, I was having trouble understanding and troubleshooting.

What I was hoping/expecting:
D would show a state that would update when the device state of G changed.
D would behave so that it was On when G was open Off when G was closed.
I could include D in a Device Group.

What I saw:
D shows nothing in the "state" column in the Indigo devices list view
D shows last update of "2000-01-01" under device details pane and this does not change when D changes state
D's custom states are blank except convertedNumber which is always 0
none of D's custom states change when G opens/closes.
D can't be used in a Device Group.

So I think I'm doing something wrong. In addition, I realize I'm probably stretching the plugin to do something for which it was not designed.

Anyone have any guidance or advice?

Page 1 of 1