New Device: Thermostat Wrapper

Posted on
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

New Device: Thermostat Wrapper

This is an excerpt from the Device Extension Wiki site for the new Thermostat Wrapper device, if you would like to get all of the details be sure to check out the Wiki for more details.

This is released fully into the Plugin Store but this device (not the release) is still experimental. While it is being regularly enhanced, more features are forthcoming, I encourage you to try it as-is and let me know what else you might like to see.

Device Extensions is getting some upgrades from just being conversions and extensions, wrappers are now being added and the first of the bunch is the Thermostat Wrapper. A wrapper is just as the name implies, it wraps around another device to either modify the default behavior of the device or to add functionality that wasn't there before. It can also be used as a "virtual" device that can have each function assigned to a different device or action group.

The wrapper concept is that you can optionally select any thermostat in Indigo to wrap (you don't have to actually wrap anything) and any function or value that you do not explicitly override will simply pass through to the selected thermostat. For instance, if the only function you decide to override is the current temperature and humidity then those values will be retrieved from whatever devices and states you specify for them while the rest of the thermostats data and functions will pass through.

This was primarily designed as a way to get temperature sensor data to pass through to HomeKit since Homebridge-Indigo/Homebridge Buddy does not yet support independent temperature sensors. While it shows in HomeKit as a thermostat, the desired result was achieved since the thermostat reads the temperature from the sensor.

wrapper-thermostat-wrap.png
wrapper-thermostat-wrap.png (67.09 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
wrapper-thermostat-temperature.png
wrapper-thermostat-temperature.png (77.33 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
wrapper-thermostat-humidity.png
wrapper-thermostat-humidity.png (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
wrapper-thermostat-indigo-ui-full.png
wrapper-thermostat-indigo-ui-full.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: New Device: Thermostat Wrapper

If anyone is interested in testing this device it is available as a "preview" release on the Git repository. I may not drop the actual next big upgrade for a little while yet because I'm doing a LOT with Device Extensions but this is a stable release and now allows you to mostly fully wrap a thermostat and have control over:

• Optionally pass through any functions or data that are not explicitly remapped elsewhere to another thermostat (so keep 99% of your thermostat but maybe map your "Fan On" to an action group that does some other things and then turns the fan on too)
  • Use any device in Indigo and pull any state into the current temperature, humidity, cooling set point or heating set point (you temperature could be the outside temperature from WUnderground if you want or any other data source you can dream of)
  • Use any action group to control all functions, such as setting the heat/cool set points, controlling the fan and setting the HVAC mode

There is a checkbox for optionally linking to Homebridge Buddy but without the yet-released version of HBB to support it you won't be able to utilize it yet. I may do a preview release of that soon too but I have a lot of plans for that too so I'm not ready to share it just yet.

wrapper-thermostat-options.png
wrapper-thermostat-options.png (42.69 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1