Mac Commander 2 Open Beta

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Mac Commander 2 Open Beta

Logo.png
Logo.png (12.37 KiB) Viewed 18106 times

"Control any Mac on your network via Indigo!"

Want to dynamically start and stop apps on another computer based on Indigo events? No problem!
Need to run an ApplesScript file sitting on your hard drive? Done.
Want to write an AppleScript from scratch directly in the plugin and run it like you can in Indigo now? Yup.

This release is BETA, so you can only download it via GitHub while it is in BETA, however the original 1.1.0 version is available in the plugin store.

NAVIGATE: Downloads & Release Notes | Manual

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction

Recent activity with the original Mac Commander plugin has inspired me to expand upon the original plugin and make it better. There hasn't been a new release of the Mac Commander since 2016 and while this isn't a ground-up rewrite of the plugin it has been almost completely redone. All of the UI's have been modernized and the original device is still in the plugin so when you upgrade you will retain your old Mac Commander devices.

There have been a few lingering bugs that were never addressed because nobody mentioned them :roll: but they are fixed now.

Mac Commander lets you control any Mac on your network as well as lets you run full AppleScript files from within Indigo. Considering that Indigo will soon remove support for native AppleScript, this plugin will allow you to continue using AppleScript regardless of if it is supported in Indigo or not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What Can It Do?

• Create a relay device (on/off) where both On and Off can perform any of the things on this list independently
  • Perform any of the things on this list as an acton with zero devices required, everything can be performed via an action
  • Run an application on any Mac in any network (so long as you have access and permissions)
  • Quit an application on any Mac in any network
  • Display a notification message on any Mac in any network
  • Start the screensaver on any Mac in any network
  • Put any Mac on any network to sleep
  • Reboot any Mac on any network
  • Shut down any Mac on any network
  • Perform an Apple App Store software update automatically and without prompting on any Mac on any network (and even auto reboot if/when needed)
  • Perform text-to-speech on any Mac in any network
  • Play, Pause, Start and Stop iTunes on any Mac on any network
  • Run a saved AppleScript .scpt file saved on your Indigo computer
  • Run a custom written AppleScript code from your Indigo computer (what it does could be directed anywhere)
  • Find all embedded AppleScript scripts that are on any Indigo schedule, action group or trigger so you can get those migrated to Python

device_remote_command.png
device_remote_command.png (131.32 KiB) Viewed 18106 times
action_notification.png
action_notification.png (70.2 KiB) Viewed 18106 times
device_notification_message.png
device_notification_message.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 18106 times
action_run_applescript.png
action_run_applescript.png (46.3 KiB) Viewed 18096 times
action_custom_applescript.png
Custom AppleScript Composer
action_custom_applescript.png (61.47 KiB) Viewed 18066 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 pm
mat offline

Re: Mac Commander 2 Open Beta

will defiantly have a look at this one. I've got apple script in all sorts of places I cant even remember - one of those jobs i've been putting off, and this will help during the transition period i'm sure - thank for the time :)

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Hopefully it helps. I think that AppleScript is still extremely useful and I'll run AppleScript for a good long time after Indigo no longer supports it because it makes it easy to do so much that cannot be done from the terminal alone.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Just posted Beta 2 because of something kind of cool - full AppleScript editor ready to build-and-run:

action_custom_applescript.png
AppleScript Editor and Action
action_custom_applescript.png (61.47 KiB) Viewed 18064 times

More enhancements to the editor are planned, pretty basic at the moment but that won't last long!

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Beta 3 posted, which actually has a lot going on under the hood. I forgot how useful this thing was!

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Beta 4 has been released and has a new plugin menu utility to find all Indigo items that have an embedded AppleScript so you can change those to Python as needed (if they directly reference Indigo in the script).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 pm
michaelzoradi offline

Super confused as to how to get going with Mac Commander 2... In v1 I was able to add a Mac from my local network as a Device but now there's no option to do that anymore...?

I have the new v2 beta plug-in installed (and of course have my local network Mac that I want to control all set up) but when I go to add it as a device in Indigo 7 there's no "Mac Commander" option like there used to be in v1 (see attached screenshot).

Seems like I'm missing something very obvious. :?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.31.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.31.48 PM.png (112.72 KiB) Viewed 17566 times

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

It looks to me that Mac Commander isn't installed or is disabled. There would definitely be an option there if it was installed and enabled.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 am
michaelzoradi offline

I can confirm that it's both installed and enabled. See attached screenshot... However, even then no option to create a new device.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 9.44.41 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 9.44.41 AM.jpg (426.62 KiB) Viewed 17521 times

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That doesn't make sense on several levels. At the very least your menu, if the plugin were fully enabled, should have more options. Even though mine is B5 that's only because I increment the beta number on my own system after release, it's still the same code as B4.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 11.55.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 11.55.43 AM.png (58.32 KiB) Viewed 17507 times

The only other way for me to test would be to wipe out my development setup so I can install Mac Commander from scratch but I recently did that for another reason and the plugin is there and shows all the options. Anything in the log?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 pm
Korey offline

Having the same issue, the menu is not showing up like yours.

Getting this in the log:

Code: Select all
Aug 8, 2018, 1:19:33 PM
   v2.0.0-b4 of plugin EPS - Mac Commander is already installed but is disabled (enabling)
   Loading plugin "EPS - Mac Commander 2.0.0-b4"
   Starting plugin "EPS - Mac Commander 2.0.0-b4" (pid 5712)
   EPS - Mac Commander Error       Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 35, in <module>
ImportError: No module named psutil
Attachments
Snap 2018-08-08 at 4.21.37 PM.PNG
Snap 2018-08-08 at 4.21.37 PM.PNG (370.27 KiB) Viewed 17484 times
Last edited by Korey on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I'll have to load it up on a fresh system to see why that may be, it doesn't make sense at the moment.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm
Coolcaper offline

Korey wrote:
Having the same issue, the menu is not showing up like yours.

Getting this in the log:

Code: Select all
Aug 8, 2018, 1:19:33 PM
   v2.0.0-b4 of plugin EPS - Mac Commander is already installed but is disabled (enabling)
   Loading plugin "EPS - Mac Commander 2.0.0-b4"
   Starting plugin "EPS - Mac Commander 2.0.0-b4" (pid 5712)
   EPS - Mac Commander Error       Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 35, in <module>
ImportError: No module named psutil

I was getting the same thing. I’m presuming it’s because the psutil module does not load the actual plugin is not loaded. Hence why no options.

See closed github issue:

https://github.com/Colorado4Wheeler/Mac ... r/issues/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:34 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ahh, yea. Ok, makes sense now. I'll put a new one up tonight or in the morning.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 am
Different Computers offline

I installed Mac Commander last night. No devices of the Mac Commander type appear in the new device dialog.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.