Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

Posted on
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Support For Fibro RGBWW controller

Then the API broke again. This is what happened when. you have a hacked API, back to square one again and that is why this takes so long, I don't have the time to keep chasing a moving target every time the API breaks.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 am
durosity offline

Support For Fibro RGBWW controller

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I don't have the time to keep chasing a moving target every time the API breaks.

Sure you do! 24/7 monitoring of it.. the second it changes your SLA guarantees a fix in 5 mins or we all get a free pizza from you!

In all seriousness though does that mean you’re not going to be able to do it? Just if that’s the case I’ll need to flog the stuff I’ve got and replace it with something that will work before we start getting into winter

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I have to see how bad it is broken. I've had to rewrite the alpha four times now I believe.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:34 am
durosity offline

Ouch! Well I’d appreciate if you could keep me posted.. replacing it will take time and the wife won’t be happy with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I still want to get it updated but it's frustrating to spend all this time on something to have it change and I don't even have the hardware to test with and that makes it much more difficult.

And, honestly, the regular digs about how long it is taking doesn't motivate me to do this, quite the opposite actually. I wrote the Tado plugin as a nice thing to do and now it's kind of an albatross around my neck. There's probably at least 20-30 hours of work to get it redone, which in my world equates to about $6K to $8K what I would charge clients for my time so it is not a minor project with the new OAuth system Tado put into place that is implemented in a funky way. The first plugin took me a couple hours.

That being said, it's still on the list but not a top priority right now, HKB took a LOT (and I do mean a L O T) of my "Indigo time" to code. In fact it took at lot of non Indigo time too. That eats into the Tado coding time.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am
durosity offline

Re: Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

yeah... its a pain they don't have an official API. They say they'll make one.. sometime.. possibly in the year 3000 when we all live under water.

If it'd help I could send you my upstairs controller and a couple of TRVs and then when finished with them I'd pay for them to be shipped back?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
If it'd help I could send you my upstairs controller and a couple of TRVs and then when finished with them I'd pay for them to be shipped back?

Extremely generous offer but I think the power requirements would be too different for me to utilize them, not to mention I don't have radiant heaters in my house. I just have to hack through the API using the credentials I have and see what happens. The other issue is if I am testing something and set the heat to 350 degrees in the summer while someone is at work then, well, it's going to be a very interesting entry into their home...

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
OAuth system Tado put into place that is implemented in a funky way.

FYI, we include both oauthlib v2.0.2 and requests_oauthlib v0.8.0 with Indigo 7.1+. Those might help in adding the OAuth client stuff.

In OAuth 2.0, when you originally request a token from an OAuth server, you receive both an authorization token and a refresh token. The auth token usually has a relatively short lifespan. You send the auth token in an HTTP_AUTHORIZATION header, and when the auth token expires, then the client uses the refresh token to get a new auth/refresh token pair (and you receive both an auth token and a refresh token). When that auth token expires, you use the refresh token that came with it to get a new token pair. Rinse, repeat.

Of course, they may be implementing OAuth 1.0 (which I have no understanding of) or maybe they've just mussed it up somehow.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
Of course, they may be implementing OAuth 1.0

It's hybrid. It's standard token/refresh with a twist. :roll:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I had it working and they broke it again. It was working pretty well too. It's undocumented so everything I'm going off of was sniffed from an Android client pretty much so if there isn't any new sniffer reports then I'm not sure if they changed the URL or actually made it OAuth 2.0 compliant (without the twist) or what. I can take hours of testing just to try to get to that data.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
durosity wrote:

Extremely generous offer but I think the power requirements would be too different for me to utilize them, not to mention I don't have radiant heaters in my house. I just have to hack through the API using the credentials I have and see what happens. The other issue is if I am testing something and set the heat to 350 degrees in the summer while someone is at work then, well, it's going to be a very interesting entry into their home...

Aye good point I forget about the power. The radiator issue wouldn’t be a problem because I’d have just sent a couple of the connections they actually attach onto and you’d visually be able to tell if they’re on or not.

But seriously if it helps I can easily disconnect my upstairs controller and then it doesn’t matter what temperature you set it to no heat is going to be generated by the boiler. So no fear of over heating the house. (And we very seldom use the upstairs heating anyway.. last year it was turned on twice in one single room with the exception of when the system was being serviced)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
But seriously if it helps I can easily disconnect my upstairs controller

I might take you up on that. I know that your system is more complex than the account I've been using and I know you got a bunch more Tado equipment recently so it might be better to use your account. I have a couple pressing issues I'm working through on HKB and Device Extensions and then Tado is supposed to be next on my list.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
But seriously if it helps I can easily disconnect my upstairs controller and then it doesn’t matter what temperature you set it to no heat is going to be generated by the boiler. So no fear of over heating the house. (And we very seldom use the upstairs heating anyway.. last year it was turned on twice in one single room with the exception of when the system was being serviced)

He'd also need a European Z-Wave stick since the RF frequency is different than in the US...

Or not. Duh, not Z-Wave... :shock: :oops:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
He'd also need a European Z-Wave stick since the RF frequency is different than in the US...

Yea, I had meant to mention that as well as I remembered that too.

The answer is quite simple. Fly me out to you and I'll bring my laptop and iPad and I'll get this dialed right in for you. I'll even buy you a pint (but I'm not a beer guy so I'll just hit the scotch instead).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:08 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
durosity wrote:

Hahaha ahh I do love that meme. Interesting factoid: My best friend now lives on the same street that Sean Bean lived on when he was a kid in Sheffield.

Also the Tado system is WiFi connected rather than z-wave. I happen to have a spare internet bridge that works fine with everything but HomeKit so they replaced it and didn’t want the old one back.. so I’d have been able to send that too.

Computer says no.