Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Tado Thermostat Device Plugin

This is coming along. Slowly, but it's coming :). The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy with other projects but this will get some more love soon.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 am
durosity offline

Awesome. Will be nice to have it under indigo control again. I’ve had some serious headaches with the system due to a faulty bridge (at least thats what their support think) so hopefully everything else will work properly once that’s sorted out. The hardware is pretty impressive.. well designed and made.. and quiet unlike my old TRVs. One major flaw though is if your internet connection drops you can’t even control it locally through the app… you have to use the dials on the TRVs.. the damned cloudiness of things these days. After all the capers I’ve had with the bridge I’ve actually been chatting with one of their developers rather than their usual support reps and I’m trying to convince them that there needs to be at least some basic form of local control. Doubt I’ll get far with it but I feel its worth trying.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:53 pm
Londonmark offline

durosity wrote:
Awesome. Will be nice to have it under indigo control again. I’ve had some serious headaches with the system due to a faulty bridge (at least thats what their support think) so hopefully everything else will work properly once that’s sorted out. The hardware is pretty impressive.. well designed and made.. and quiet unlike my old TRVs. One major flaw though is if your internet connection drops you can’t even control it locally through the app… you have to use the dials on the TRVs.. the damned cloudiness of things these days. After all the capers I’ve had with the bridge I’ve actually been chatting with one of their developers rather than their usual support reps and I’m trying to convince them that there needs to be at least some basic form of local control. Doubt I’ll get far with it but I feel its worth trying.

Keep trying with the devs. Agree it’s the one drawback. Otherwise I’m several years in and really happy.

And good news on the plugin. Thanks C4W!

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 pm
agame offline

durosity wrote:
agame wrote:
I'm back on deck, so able to provide another TADO login if you need it.
I have 2 thermostats, a radiator valve, and the airconditoner controller.

Out of interest how well does the AC controller work? And what model AC do you have? I was thinking of getting one for the two days a year when it actually gets warm enough for such a thing but finding one with a compatible remote has been difficult!

Also do you have issues with your internet bridge dropping it’s cloud connection constantly? I am and their tech support have been struggling to work out why (and the lack of any user accessible logs is driving me nuts!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The unit I'm using with the TADO is a Fujitsu split system. After a lot of angst trying codes and learning; it turns out the IR code-logic doesn't fit an aftermarket control model well, I did delve into this but its a bit too long ago I configured it...I vaguely recall it has to do with the string being different depending on the state of the aircon. As a work-around, suggested by TADO, it was necessary to learn-into the TADO a single / arbitrary temperature for remote control activation.

I mainly use it to remotely activate the aircon when a day hits the 40's to keep dogs from roasting. Consequently (unlike with the heating) I don't use the (very good) home/away functionality on the TADO app with the aircon.

Typical asian-brand air conditioners - at least inverter models - have more sophisticated thermostats than typical gas heating boilers (they progressively regulate output, and may do room presence -sensing so do much more than just turn on/off) ... in reality therefore all that one should be seeking from an interface is to remotely or automatically activate it, and preferably adjust the set point temperature (I don't routinely use it for heating, but if I did then mode change would also be an issue). So in this sense the TADO device is really an overkill, as any RF interface capable of recording and repeating an IR sequence could achieve all that linked with Indigo. The main attraction of the TADO aircon device was to to have a single app for all climate control. I have another (Panasonic) air conditioner at a weekender, where I use a different IR interface (Remotec: https://capitalsmarthomes.com.au/produc ... controller)...it integrates perfectly with Indigo so actually provides a more elegant solution (pending good Indigo integration with TADO). (NB the Remotec interface had the same issue with the Fujitsu code sequences, it isn't a TADO-specific limitation).

Regarding stability of the internet connection, I haven't seen this. I did initially have a lot of difficulty with the RF link between the hub and the controllers and spent a lot of time adjusting the location of the hub (note the AC device has onboard wifi and does not use the hub). A lot of failed attempts by tech support at over-the-air software upgrades (no local option) later, this issue eventually went away apparently by itself. (But of course full local control is available at on the thermostat itself during an internet outage. I have the pre-homekit version of the hub so haven't tested this...but if you were to control to the TADO via Homekit [or via Indigo/Homekit Bridge], would this provide a cloud-free control route??)

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 pm
durosity offline

Oh wow excellent advice, thank you VERY much for that. I knew from @howartp ‘s experience with aircon that it was a minefield of issues, I was kinda hoping the tado system was clever enough to get around it but clearly not. I’ll have to have a good investigator into units before I buy any.

And yes, the homekit functionality should work locally even if the internet goes down.. although in all honesty I’ve found it quite frustrating already. I’ve got 11 TRVs and if I ask Siri to set them all to say 18° she’ll accept the command but the quite often the bridge will balk at the quantity of changes and just do the first few. Also if Homekit loses the bridge for some reason (seems to be a common enough problem for there to be an KBA on it) you have to reset the bridge, re-add it and then rename all the devices again - it doesn’t copy the names in from the zones it’s associated with.. just gives you the generic ID when you add it into your system! . I’ve had it happen twice.. possibly from all the tinkering and changing and the fact my home DB is a little odd (planning to delete it and re-setup HBK, etc completely soon) but it’s still a bit awkward.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 pm
agame offline

welcome. incidentally, i've found homekit bridge to be completely stable (albeit not doing 18 actions at once...). I use the EPS Homebridge Buddy version.

Just btw Fujitsu (some models only) was the only brand that came up in searches as likely to present this IR/state/sequence challenge.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 1:57 am
durosity offline

Good news.. tado replaced my internet bridge and so far it seems to be working perfectly. :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 am
Londonmark offline

durosity wrote:
Good news.. tado replaced my internet bridge and so far it seems to be working perfectly. :D

Excellent.

Now you just need a plug-in...

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 am
durosity offline

That would be handy! But hardly urgent as were finally starting to get warmer weather. This is why I decided to switch my system now.. plenty of time for implementation, testing, etc... nothing worse than the system (as in the whole tado system, not just the plugin) failing when it’s freezing cold!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
nothing worse than the system (as in the whole tado system, not just the plugin) failing when it’s freezing cold!

LOL, pretty much!

Its still in my sights and on my calendar, I just need to get over a fairly big hump with the things that pay my bills first - it's been taking a lot of time but there's light at the end of the tunnel. I've made some good headway into the new API and if i sat down for 10-12 hours I could probably bring it to beta, just got to get the hours :).

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 7:25 am
durosity offline

I do have to say prioritising having a roof over your head over our heating systems is preposterous! I’m going to make a formal complaint to Jay about this. And I have dirt on him.. he’s in my pocket so to speak. (Actually he is literally in my pocket. He’s tiny. The size of a borrower. )

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 4:43 pm
agame offline

durosity wrote:
That would be handy! But hardly urgent as were finally starting to get warmer weather. This is why I decided to switch my system now.. plenty of time for implementation, testing, etc... nothing worse than the system (as in the whole tado system, not just the plugin) failing when it’s freezing cold!

actually, winter is approaching last time I looked out the window :lol:

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 4:45 pm
durosity offline

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Support For Fibro RGBWW controller

Londonmark wrote:
Obviously must be tough to find time given all the hard work on the Tado plugin

:roll:

Of course the user/pass no longer works or I had carved time out the other day to poke at this.

As for the color bulbs, it's on the map and I'm working on something.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:28 pm
Londonmark offline

Re: Support For Fibro RGBWW controller

Haven’t changed user/pass...

Page 7 of 9 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9