Mac Commander 2 Open Beta

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Mac Commander 2 Open Beta

I am aware, based on the past handful of posts ;)

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:14 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, Beta 5 is now released that fixes this particular issue.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:47 am
Korey offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Ok, Beta 5 is now released that fixes this particular issue.

Works as advertised now!

Thanks C4W! :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:09 pm
cjp767 offline

I just ran across Mac Commander and it looks incredible. I have a couple older Mac Mini's that I use only for picture frames-- where the desktop changes every 5 minutes. I'd like to sleep/wake the computers based on my existing Indigo home/away logic and when in night/day mode.

Looks like Mac Commander can Sleep the computers, but I didn't see a corresponding Wake command. I understand some hardware/software combinations do not support wake via the LAN, but might a Wake command be added for those computers that do support it? Or is there a work around that I might be missing?

Thanks for your consideration-- My picture frame Mac Mini- 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.11.6 (which is the maximum OS). This hardware/software combination does support the Wake command on the same LAN through Apple's Remote Desktop Application.

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:23 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

There isn't a wake natively, I'll add that to the list and see what kind of creative way I can incorporate it. Wake on Lan is an option, have you tried pinging it when it's asleep?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:49 pm
cjp767 offline

Thank you for looking into the Wake situation-- I pinged the Mac Mini computer while it was sleeping and it didn't wake up. It must be looking for a special command (probably with authentication) that it receives from Apple's Remote Desktop.

For now, I have set the computer to wake up and sleep certain times of the day (inside its own System Preferences)-- And that's more than satisfactory, really. It would however, be great to have Indigo control the waking/sleeping. Thanks again for your time and effort!

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm
lanbrown offline

cjp767 wrote:
It must be looking for a special command (probably with authentication) that it receives from Apple's Remote Desktop.

WOL is an industry standard and Apple doesn't do anything different The NIC is the one handling WOL and then passing info onto the system. There is no authentication either. It just wakes the machine up but the display will still stay off. So if you look at the machine, it will appear to be asleep when in fact it is awake. If the display was locked, then whomever woke it up would still need to enter the display password. This is the case with ARD as well. ARD doesn't allow an administrator to unlock the workstation that a user has a current session. However, if the machine is set not to require a password after being asleep or a screensaver password, when the machine no longer asleep, it will not require a password. The display will still be black though since the machine was told to awake, but the mouse or keyboard was never used and thus, no need for the screen to be awake. So what you're seeking won't work in how Apple handles WOL.