HomeKit notes from WWDC

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 am
roussell offline

Re: HomeKit notes from WWDC

rehafer wrote:
The other question; does a free third-party plug-in count for a non-commercial license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it isn't distributed WITH Indigo as part of the commercial package, and the developer doesn't charge for the plugin - I don't see a problem with the usage, but... I am a Project Manager, not a lawyer... :roll:

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We aren't lawyers, so we can't offer any advice about what's allowed or not. I would point out that the clickthrough license does contain this language (emphasis mine):

2. Restrictions. You covenant not to (i) use the Specification for any purpose not expressly permitted by this Agreement; (ii) use the Specification to develop or make any device, accessory, software, or other product or service available for distribution to third parties...

So I would guess it depends on how "distribution to third parties" is interpreted.

Seems like this could spell trouble for Homebridge - at least the part that implements the protocol (likely not including the Indigo part contributed by webdeck). Homebridge was reverse-engineered to begin with (so what's there now is probably ok), but proving that any modifications from this point forward were reverse-engineered vs gleaned from the spec is likely to be pretty hard (if Apple decided to go after Homebridge). I really hope I'm wrong about this BTW...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm
roussell offline

So, if I develop it, I'm the first party. If I give it to you (and you, and you), you're the second party. Third party in this scenario would seem to mean a distribution channel. Unless they'd consider github as the second party, in which case "you" becomes the third. Don't you just love corporate/contractual law... Lawyers and hackers screw up everything for the rest of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm
RogueProeliator offline

So, if I develop it, I'm the first party. If I give it to you (and you, and you), you're the second party. Third party in this scenario would seem to mean a distribution channel. Unless they'd consider github as the second party, in which case "you" becomes the third. Don't you just love corporate/contractual law... Lawyers and hackers screw up everything for the rest of us!

Basically, someone needs to develop their own plugin only for themselves, not for anyone else. And use GitHub. At that point, it is just a crying shame if someone else on the forum were to link to the repository, right? I mean, courts have upheld the right to link to content and if you developed it on GitHub and didn't advertise, you certainly didn't WANT to distribute it? :-o

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm attempting to get clarification from Apple, but I don't know that we'll get an answer.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn