HomeBridge noticing but not working with new device

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am
Different Computers offline

HomeBridge noticing but not working with new device

Looking for some help with troubleshooting this. Here's where I am:

I've had a solid HB-I setup running for months.

Bought a Hue Go, added it to Hue bridge no problem, added it to Indigo using the Hue Plugin no problem, it works fine in Indigo. I'm not running HBB.

Stopped and restarted HomeBridge at the command line. As it starts up, I can see that it sees the Hue Go by its Indigo device name "Reading Lamp."

Waited a while for things to percolate to HomeKit/my AppleTV/Home App/Whatever.

And here the problem starts: It never shows up in Home app or Eve. When I tell Siri "turn on the reading lamp" it responds by turning on ALL lights. Except the Reading Lamp!

Ideas?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: HomeBridge noticing but not working with new device

One more troubleshooting step: I've now restarted my AppleTV. No joy.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 am
webdeck offline

homebridge-indigo only works with native devices - it doesn't support plugin devices.

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 am

ummmm.... I've been happily controlling my Hue lights with homebridge for months. Just this new one that's the problem.

And for clarity: I've been controlling them with hb-indigo because that's the ONLY way HomeKit knows about any of my devices. I have a V1 Hue hub with no Siri.

Also all my indigo virtual devices work with HB-I, as does my Harmony hub stuff.

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 11:14 am
webdeck offline

It all depends on how the device presents itself via the Indigo RESTful API. What does the homebridge log file say?

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Hmmm, this is since a reboot for other reasons.
Code: Select all
/opt/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/node_modules/mdns/lib/dns_sd.js:35
    throw ex;
    ^

Error: The module '/opt/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/node_modules/mdns/build/Release/dns_sd_bindings.node'
was compiled against a different Node.js version using
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 48. This version of Node.js requires
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 51. Please try re-compiling or re-installing
the module (for instance, using `npm rebuild` or`npm install`).
    at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:598:18)
    at Module.load (module.js:488:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:447:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:439:3)
    at Module.require (module.js:498:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/node_modules/mdns/lib/dns_sd.js:24:20)
    at Module._compile (module.js:571:32)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:580:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:488:32)

The super odd thing is when I invoke HB-I, it seems to run fine and shows me this:
[5/14/2017, 8:40:01 PM] Homebridge is running on port 51826.

Also, further back in the output:
[5/14/2017, 8:40:00 PM] [Redacted] Discovered Color Lights (Aura, Bloom, StoryLight, LivingColors, etc.) (ID 304277966): Reading Lamp
BUT then later
[5/14/2017, 8:40:01 PM] [redacted] Initializing platform accessory 'Pond pump'...
[5/14/2017, 8:40:01 PM] [redacted] Initializing platform accessory 'Rear Corner Spot'...
[5/14/2017, 8:40:01 PM] [redacted] Initializing platform accessory 'Recently Added'...

Notice no "Reading Lamp"

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm
webdeck offline

Could you send me the entire log in a PM?

Posted on
Mon May 15, 2017 7:00 am

That actually was the entire log.

Page 1 of 1