0: do not use
1: use if other not working
2: use this one

Yours should be:
wlan0_onOff: 2
eth0_onOff: 2
use_eth0: 0
use_wlan0: 2

Also will add fallback: if one(eth0/wlan0) is not connecting(ping indigo), try the other.

will setup and send you a copy (post) in the next days.

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm
shrxman offline

Re: pibeacon selecting hci0 and not hci1

Thanks again Karl. REALLY appreciate the help. I did notice the other day that /home/pi/pibeacon/ipAddress was reflecting the eth0 address on the pi's, and not the wlan0 even when I've configured it as you suggested.

I also noticed that, so far, it seems my pi 3B+ is working well, though my pi 3B's don't seem to be reporting on my XY devices. Currently, I'm only using this with XY beacons, though I may play with other beacons later down the road. I remember your matrix of what works with what hardware, etc, but of course didn't commit it to memory. So, for my config, what setup has proven the most successful for the pi 3B's? Should i use the BLE dongles, or remove them? set it up to specify when to use the external dongle, or leave it to let pibeacon decide for both BLE and beacon? I defaulted to deploying /home/pi/pibeacon via the plugin, so i'm using the most current files as I'd installed the latest plugin from the plugin store, and then the one you sent me.

let me know, as that may be causing some of the confusion/conflicts, etc. And, as always, happy to be a guinea pig as needed, so feel free if you need an env to test. :-)

~ken

Posted on
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 pm
kw123 offline

It’s convoluted

3 has ble and WiFi Sharing Hardware and software. So if you use WiFi and bleconnect recommended is to add ble dongle

3+. Works fine w spring opsys No extra ble needed. But w the fall opsys ble beacon does not work at all w onboard ble.so here you need a dongle for ble beacon

I should have a release ready tomorrow

Really need to test this as if the goes wrong you might loose network connection completely.

Karl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm
shrxman offline

Thanks Karl,

So that sounds like i need the dongle for both scenarios, since wifi is my primary network. Should I configure that manually for each pi, or just plugin the dongle and leave i set to let pibeacon decide?

As for losing connectivity, I can always connect a keyboard and mouse if needed, so don't sweat that too much. While I'd rather not do it for all 7 of my pi's, since I'm only testing I only have 3 connected and can get a console on them if need be.

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 pm
kw123 offline

I forgot to set PUSH new software to ON: so please do a manual push ALL to ALL RPI

for the dongles:

3+: beacon to external dongle( if you use fall 2018 OPsys)
3: beacon connect & ibeacon to external dongle IF you use wifi

Karl

Posted on
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 pm
shrxman offline

Hey Karl,

So, I saw that you'd posted a new version, and updated to that, and now see the config options for the pi's. I set ethernet cable(eth0) active to "ON, do not use eth0 IP#, and WiFi (wlan0)active to "ON, use wlan0 IP#", but from time to time I see that /home/pi/pibeacon/ipAddress gets updated to the eth0 ip and i get a correlating error in the event log regarding the ip having changed. When I edit ipAddress and enter the wlan0 ip, the error goes away until the next time it is refreshed. I considered creating a cron job to overwrite that, but figured it'd be best to let you know and see if you have any advice? The wifi does stay online now, though, so you've resolved the issue of taking it offline via that new config. :-)

Also, the mac address issues seem to be resolved, so when I try to send files to the respective pi's, I see all unique addresses in the list. yaaay! :-)

I haven't set up any beacon testing yet, but intend to do that this weekend, so will find out if i have any issues with the BLE settings you suggested earlier.

thanx again for all the support!
~ken

Posted on
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm
kw123 offline

Will post a new version today ~ 1 hour. Please upgrade to that one.

Have some mixup w wlan and eth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 pm
shrxman offline

Ok, Just upgraded to the newest release, and will see how it goes. Thanks!