Can someone describe some use cases for piBeacon?

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:59 am
Busta999 offline

Hi

My ignorance on iBeacons is a broad as it is deep and I would appreciate some sagely input.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2, with wifi and compatible bt USB devices.

I also use iPhones and iPads as well as dozen or so Tiles.

From what I have read all these can be used by Indigo and piBeacon.

What I can't find are the why this is useful. If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

Ie

Using piBeacon the Home/away status is automatically set when the iPhones/Tiles on keys etc leave the house.

Using piBeacon, Indigo 'knows' who, by localising iPhone/iBeacons , is in which room.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:12 pm
Woetjes offline

Re: Can someone describe some use cases for piBeacon?

I use piBeacon for home/away tracking. My wife and myself have a beacon attached to our keychain so once we leave the house, the alarm is activated, all the lights are turned off, ...
When we come home, the alarm is disabled, lights go on, ...

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:13 pm
Busta999 offline

Woetjes wrote:
I use piBeacon for home/away tracking. My wife and myself have a beacon attached to our keychain so once we leave the house, the alarm is activated, all the lights are turned off, ...
When we come home, the alarm is disabled, lights go on, ...

Thanks, I have a button by the front door for marking Away/Home this could replace that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:23 pm
Different Computers offline

I use something similar--iBeacons.

My bedroom lights are more complicated than an open/closed sensor or a motion sensor can manage.

If someone is in there with the lights off, I don't want someone else entering to turn lights on, for example. But if no one is in there, then they should come on.

So using occupancy via an iBeacon (which is the same idea you're asking about, just different tech) I can tell Indigo whether someone is in the bedroom even if they're not moving. Or rather, Indigo knows whether their phone is in the bedroom.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 pm
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:
I use something similar--iBeacons.

My bedroom lights are more complicated than an open/closed sensor or a motion sensor can manage.

If someone is in there with the lights off, I don't want someone else entering to turn lights on, for example. But if no one is in there, then they should come on.

So using occupancy via an iBeacon (which is the same idea you're asking about, just different tech) I can tell Indigo whether someone is in the bedroom even if they're not moving. Or rather, Indigo knows whether their phone is in the bedroom.

Excellent!

That makes a lot of sense.

I have automated lighting in every room except, bedrooms, lounge and bathrooms for pretty much the same reason you have used iBeacon. I don't want lights turning on/off if someone is still for a long period - sleeping or just resting.

I'll build one and try it out in the Lounge first.

Thanks for clarity.

Question ...

What is the effective range of the iBeacons? My Lounge is directly below the Master Bedroom, is there a chance the beacon could read as in the wrong room?

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Beacons (at least the one I use) have adjustable power settings. I needed to fool with them to get them right. As it is, the phone detects the beacon in the bedroom before I actually enter the bedroom, by about 6 feet or so. That's partly a limitation/feature based on where my power outlets are in the room.

I live in a single level home, so I can't give you any feedback about signal bleed between floors, but I bet you would find the same sorts of issues I have with the phone detecting the beacon at a slightly larger range than intended. Really, you won't know how it works in your environment without trying it. Construction, phone model and type, RF interference will all affect how it works.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm
Busta999 offline

Beacons (at least the one I use) have adjustable power settings. I needed to fool with them to get them right. As it is, the phone detects the beacon in the bedroom before I actually enter the bedroom, by about 6 feet or so. That's partly a limitation/feature based on where my power outlets are in the room.

I live in a single level home, so I can't give you any feedback about signal bleed between floors, but I bet you would find the same sorts of issues I have with the phone detecting the beacon at a slightly larger range than intended. Really, you won't know how it works in your environment without trying it. Construction, phone model and type, RF interference will all affect how it works.

And....

Which beacon are you using?

I am glad to follow in the steps of giants

We have iPhone 6 S and 6 S+

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't recall why I settled on this one but I went with the Radius RadBeacon USB, I think because someone here in the forums recommended them.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 pm
Busta999 offline

I don't recall why I settled on this one but I went with the Radius RadBeacon USB, I think because someone here in the forums recommended them.

Thanks, I'll have to see if my son, who lives in PA, can get it and ship it to me, the Amazon $30+ for slow 1 month, shipping to the UK is too high for me.

I don't know why it is so much, I buy through Amazon UK things that are shipped from China for a £1.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:48 pm
kw123 offline

I come to Europe every 4 months and would be happy to bring stuff.
Karl
Until brexit is guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:51 pm
Busta999 offline

Karl, very much appreciated, but I left my son in USA when we moved here, these things are really small and he has Prime so can get them there and drop them in the mail for me. Mike

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:51 pm
kw123 offline

I believe the USB beacon mentioned sends out 2 different messages with different uuids ( apple and google std)
That will constantly change the uuid in the display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1