Beacons in the UK. Where to buy? Any criteria for testing?

Posted on
Fri May 05, 2017 4:30 am
stuartcolman offline

Re: Beacons in the UK. Where to buy? Any criteria for testin

The ID's are a bit random (just noticed they all start FF:FF:), but I found the best way to add them is to Turn on the accept new beacons in the plugin, switch the beacon, watch it pop up, switch it off (allow it to expire etc) and then rename it, then turn off Accept new Beacons.

I have had one on my keyring now for about 3 months and the battery hasn't failed yet. However, I did replace the original battery when I first got with a good brand version.

Stuart

Posted on
Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 am
kw123 offline

Re: Beacons in the UK. Where to buy? Any criteria for testin

to test which is which needs some analysis steps, but this seems to work:

1. enable accept new i beacons, wait 30 secs (the config file has to get to the RPI and the RPI has to read it )
2. but battery into new ibeacon and place next to one RPI
3. check if new ibeacon is created and check signal level, should be high at the RPI state you put it next
- if ok,
== if you have 2 RPI: move beacon to other RPI
wait 1 minute and check signal level
then take battery out and wait if it goes down. might take 2 minutes
== if you have RPI: take battery out and wait if it expires. then put battery back in.

then switch off accept new ibeacons

I have several directories. one for newly cerated ibeacons(piBeacons. and one for ID-ed beacons. Once I have id-ed a beacon I move it to the "production" folder (mine is called PI-beacons, while the default is piBeacon) and then some more for other things like pi-Cars, pi-sensors, pi-servers
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 09.56.10.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 09.56.10.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 896 times

Karl