piBeacon: 2- creating the SSD and configuring the rPi

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:53 pm
kw123 offline

Re: piBeacon: 2- creating the SSD and configuring the rPi

0.) if your network works, you don't have to do any further steps for networking.. just in case you like to do eterhnet ..

1. )
sftp> mkdir /home/pi/pibeacon
Couldn't create directory: Failure

could you ssh into the RPI and do:
Code: Select all
ls
cd pibeacon
ls

if there are already the folders (pibeacon, fonts ...). the error message is just a warning.

2. while on the RPI could you do
cd /home/pi/pibeacon
cat parameters

and post the output

Couldn't delete file: No such file or directory
is ok, just a statement that the file does not exit and thats ok

4. will check "in Line '6562' has error=''key not found in database''"

Q:
-did you change password , expand file system, set timezone .. just the typical dumb questions = errors i do?
-which plugin version are you using?

karl

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 am
andarv offline

Tanx for the support!

1) pibeacon/ is populated (it's not exactly the same as the older production but i figure most of the differences is due to usage)
2) pi@raspberrypi:~/pibeacon $ cat parameters
cat: parameters: No such file or directory

4) Checked in the pluginfile and found the reference but my knowledge stops there, couldn't make any thing of it.

Changed the following:
1. Timezone
2. Wifi Country
3. Expand
4. Change PW

If i change more, like keyboard and language i get in a "watchdog" boot loop

I'm running 7.29.15 and on this rPi your latest SSD.

Want anymore logs in PM? I'm not sure what i'm looking for.

/Anders

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:04 pm
virgahyatt offline

I just setup a new rpi following the instructions and getting the same error message. After pushing the config file it will start rebooting repeatedly after a short time. I deleted the plugin and attending files reformatted the sd card and did it all again with the same results. I do see a second error message after the first though if that helps. The pibeacon folder in Indigo is empty. Though in the logs I do see it trying to communicate with it.

16:53:42 -in Line '667' has error='[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/admin/documents/piBeacon/RPIconf'' try again
16:53:43 -/Users/admin/documents/piBeacon/RPIconf file does not exist or has bad data, new setup
16:53:43 -new py programs will be send to rPis
16:53:43 -new versions send to rPis
16:58:07 -pi= 0
16:58:07 -valuesDict= UiValuesDict : (dict)
MSG : Pi server configuration set (string)
beaconOrSensor : iBeacon rPi (string)
confirmPiServer : (string)
confirmPiServerConfig : (string)
enablePiEntries : false (bool)
enableRebootCheck : doNothing (string)
infoLabel11 : (string)
ipNumberPi : 10.0.1.4 (string)
passwordPi : XXXX (string)
piOnOff : 1 (string)
piServerNumber : 0 (string)
rPiVersion : 0 (string)
userIdPi : pi (string)
16:58:07 -RPI= {'sensorRefreshSecs': '90.0', 'enableSPIpinsAsGpio': '0', 'piDevId': 0, 'userIdPi': 'pi', 'enableTXpinsAsGpio': '0', 'rPiVersion': 0, 'piOnOff': u'1', 'enableRebootCheck': u'doNothing', 'passwordPi': u'chaochao', 'piNumberReceived': '', 'piMAC': '', 'ipNumberPiSendTo': u'10.0.1.4', 'sensorList': '', 'input': {}, 'ipNumberPi': u'10.0.1.4', 'piUpToDate': 1, 'output': {}, 'enableiBeacons': '1'}
16:58:09 -updating pi server files
16:58:09 -in Line '6562' has error=''key not found in database''
16:58:09 -in Line '6571' has error='local variable 'piDev' referenced before assignment'

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:25 pm
andarv offline

Hade just a few minutes to thinker with this today.
But I noticed that on the "old" working pi the dir is named pibeacon.
On the new it's called piBeacon? Not sure if that effects any thing. Are the files stored/moved to the correct dir?

Skickat från min ONE A2003 via Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:36 pm
benip offline

I may be having the same issues, I'm not sure... I've followed all the instructions (I think) but I'm not sure that the config is pushing to the rpi correctly, and I do get the following log entry errors:

Starting plugin "piBeacon 7.29.17" (pid 94890)
   piBeacon                        setting parameters for indigo version: >>7<<
   Started plugin "piBeacon 7.29.17"
   piBeacon                        piBeacon --V 7.29.18   initializing
   piBeacon                        config read from files
   piBeacon                        in Line '6597' has error=''key not found in database''
   piBeacon                        in Line '6606' has error='local variable 'piDev' referenced before assignment'
   piBeacon                         .. initalized

The plugin looks setup, but there's nothing in the piBeacons folder. Scanning for iBeacons (eBeacon app on iPhone) doesn't show anything either. I've got the 2016-11-22 img on a new rpi3/16GB

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:25 pm
kw123 offline

posted a new version that should help.... could we move the discussion to the discussion thread... would like to keep this one short.

==> in Line '6597' has error=''key not found in database'' happens at new install. === now more graceful fix
==> -in Line '667' has error='[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/admin/documents/piBeacon/RPIconf'' try again == is not an error message, just a new install, fixed now

==> the working directory names do not matter. you can change them to what ever you like. New iBeacons will be created in the piBeacon folder.
I have 4 other folders:
- pi-beacon-RPI
-pi-beacon-sensors
-pi-beacon-junk
-pi-beacon-ok
I move the RPI into the RPI folder. ... any junk or expired I don't like, but would like to keep into junk
and the good ones into the - ok folder .. and as i have a lot of sensors.. i move them there

could you check if you can ssh to the RPI with your new password, i.e. the password you setup in config menu/ setup RPI

If there is no parameters file in /home/pi/pibeacon or the indigo id is "xxstartxx" (in parameters) the processes on the rpi will not start .. . after first config from plugin arrives (pushed from the plugin in menu send ... to RPI ) you should do a reboot from the plugin.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 pm
Vig offline

Any reason why the plugin created 2 directories: piBeacon and piBeacons? All the devices are showing up under piBeacon directory, whereas piBeacons directory is just empty.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 am
kw123 offline

easy: thats a "feature" :oops:

the default in plugin.py is piBeacons
the default in the config menu is piBeacon

After you start the plugin you can set it to to what ever you like in config. Then the old folder can be deleted.

I will make the 2 defaults the same in the next release.

Karl.

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:53 pm
kw123 offline

NEW SSD image coming:

the RPI 4 requires a new image. I am preparing that (download, configure,.install libs, remove my settings. and keeping it below 8GB)

A side benefit: the RPI3+ that did not work with the winter 2018 image, works now with the new image. So no more extra BLE dongles for the RPI3+

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm
kw123 offline

there is a new procedure to create an SD. it much ore automated, essentially no terminal commands needed any more, you can still use them to check things

see:https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=15482 first post in this thread