Home Remote with NFC Tags

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:51 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Home Remote with NFC Tags

Here's how to control your non HomeKit devices with Home Remote and NFC tags!

https://youtu.be/vnTlVW-hOYQ

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 pm
howartp offline

Re: Home Remote with NFC Tags

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:37 am
Swancoat offline

Does anyone know if you can read the tags/trigger a shortcut with an Apple Watch?

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:50 am
Gary_BBGames offline

You can’t read the tags with the Apple Watch. Shortcuts used to work on the watch but for some reason they have been broken for quite a while. Apple is aware of this, and hopefully a fix is coming.

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:07 am
autolog offline

So what are the best tags to get to work with this - is there an Amazon (UK) link :?:

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am
Gary_BBGames offline

TimesKey NFC Tag NXP NTAG215 100PCS NFC Sticker (Round 1in) Same NFC Chip Compatible With Amiibo 504 Bytes Memory Fully Programmable, Works with All NFC Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MD8LGCW/ ... LDb44NF32Z

These Are the ones that I used. Do note, that the phone doesn’t need to be unlocked but the screen will need to be illuminated for this to work.

They could be very useful in the kitchen with the Shortcuts app as you could send them to start alarms of different times right next to the cooker.

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:26 am
autolog offline

Many thanks for the link. :D

Amazon is amazing; time in the UK is 18:25 and I have another 4 hours and 19 minutes to order them for delivery tomorrow!

Order now placed. :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 pm
CliveS offline

Gary_BBGames wrote:
TimesKey NFC Tag NXP NTAG215 100PCS NFC Sticker (Round 1in) Same NFC Chip Compatible With Amiibo 504 Bytes Memory Fully Programmable, Works with All NFC Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MD8LGCW/ ... LDb44NF32Z

These Are the ones that I used. Do note, that the phone doesn’t need to be unlocked but the screen will need to be illuminated for this to work.

They could be very useful in the kitchen with the Shortcuts app as you could send them to start alarms of different times right next to the cooker.

Thanks for updating the app for shortcuts and NFC, it really makes it so easy now, except this afternoon when I arrived home and asked Siri to open the front door for my watch to say "sorry I can't do that at present"!!!! and the iPhone just ignored me :(

Hopefully the watch will be usable in the future as it is going to be much easier to use the watch than the phone in most situations.

Glad to see I ordered the correct NFC Tags (at 23.45 last night) after watching your YouTube video but I went for the 10 pack (plus 3 free).

Is that the only type you have used ?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Yeah, the watch will be so much easier.

I’ve only used these tags and Amiibo!

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:39 pm
CliveS offline

Gary_BBGames wrote:
Yeah, the watch will be so much easier.

Will you need to write an app for the watch or will it just pass it over to the iPhone when Apple activates 3rd party watch access?

Gary_BBGames wrote:
I’ve only used these tags and Amiibo!

What is Amiibo?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:53 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

I’m hoping that Apple will soon write an Apple Watch Shortcuts app so you have UI access to the Shortcuts as well as Siri. Before that I imagine they will get the Siri Shortcuts working, and they will just automatically work on your watch. I think these are already working on HomePod but I don’t have one to check.

Amiibo are the Nintendo characters that have NFC tags in.

Posted on
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:42 pm
Shutter offline

Not Indigo related but don't forget you also have NFT chips in CHIP and PIN cards. Just mad a bunch of Personal Automations to launch the bank's app on my iPhone when I wave it over the card. Useful? Somewhat. Nerdy? Very. The latter wins.

Simon

Posted on
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:58 pm
CliveS offline

Got my NFC Tags from Amazon, went to the shortcut automation and ..... no NFC !!

So it seems that the iPhone 7+ does not have NFC Automation, so now I will have to wait for my trip to Oz to get my new iPhone 11 Pro Max (and save £300 over the UK price!) as long as it is in stock.

CliveS

Posted on
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:33 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Oh man! Sorry! It’s iPhone XS and upwards that have usable NFC. Sorry! At least you _are_ upgrading, so it’s not wasted money.

Posted on
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm
CliveS offline

Just a temporary setback, no real worries as I need to upgrade but I am more than happy with the Siri integration as I could not get my head around opening the garage door with HomeKit Bridge, it was fine with Alexa but obviously that is now out of action for a while and I can't find an Echo dot gen 1 in the UK, not sure we ever had them so could be why no eBay listings.

Just need to consider upgrading the other half's phone from a 6, she normally gets my old one but if the 7+ does not work with tags I may cash in my 7+ to get her an XR ( does that work or does it need the XS?)

CliveS