Home Remote with NFC Tags

Posted on
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm
autolog offline

Re: Home Remote with NFC Tags

CliveS wrote:
.... I can't find an Echo dot gen 1 in the UK, not sure we ever had them so could be why no eBay listings. ...

I suspect you are correct. I think the Echo Dot Gen 2 was the first Echo Dot version released in the UK.

However, all is not lost as I am using two Gen 1 Echos that work OK. I purchased them from Amazon in the UK.
So you might be able to find one of those. Don't get the Gen 1 Plus as it doesn't work.

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:26 am
autolog offline

Hi Gary,
When I click the Home Remote Developer Website link in the iOS App Store to go to http://homeremote.bouncingball.mobi, I am getting a message saying: Safari can't find the server. :(

Not sure if it is something my end or whether there is a problem with the website, so thought I should draw it to your attention. :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:31 am
autolog offline

Looks like the link should be: http://www.bouncingball.mobi :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:47 am
autolog offline

Is Home Remote stil available for the Apple Watch (watchOS 6.0.1)?

I can't see it in the list of Apps to install. :?

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:14 am
neilk offline

Clive - you are right the Gen 1 dots never made it here, that is why I thought mine were Gen 1. Your only option is the original echo, fortunately I had one in the cupboard.

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:40 am
CliveS offline

neilk wrote:
Clive - you are right the Gen 1 dots never made it here, that is why I thought mine were Gen 1. Your only option is the original echo, fortunately I had one in the cupboard.

I have a couple of eBay searches going for Echo Gen1 and Echo 1st Gen but as we are off to Oz on the 14th for 6 weeks I can't bid now so am hoping that when I get back something will have happened to sort the problem (Like an Indigo skill or Amazon reverts the upgrade - eternal optimist me - but I doubt it as they want total control like Google has with the Nest 'Hijack').

Not sure if a US version Echo will work in the UK, anyone know?

And getting back to the thread - hopefully Apple will let Siri NFC work on the Watch soon as well.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am
kw123 offline

I got some nfc tags from amazon for $.40 per tag

Doing a script on the phone works, but is a little cumbersome. No duplicate of previous automation tasks = you have to enter all parameters again manually- copy and paste though works but there are several fields you need to fill out. .. though you only need to do it once per action.

Using ssh to curl to trigger variable change or action works fine.

It looks thought that the iPhone only scans a NEW tag after ~ 30 seconds = using a tag to switch lights on off requires 30 seconds wait time.
Scanning the same tag works sometimes every 2 seconds sometimes it needs longer.

I guess this is a good solution when you rest your iPhone on the tag and no immediate action is required.

Looks like v 0.9.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by kw123 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:22 am
autolog offline

kw123 wrote:
... Doing a script on the phone works, but is a little cumbersome. No duplicate of previous automation tasks = you have to enter all parameters again manually- copy and paste though works but there are several fields you need to fill out. .. though you only need to do it once per action. ...

A duplicate function would increase the productivity of setting up lots of actions x 10 - so +1 for a Duplicate function. :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am
kw123 offline

Home Remote with NFC Tags

The weird thing is:
The shortcuts have a duplicate function
The automation tasks not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:11 am
kw123 offline

Correction: the iPhone sensor NFC is at the top !

When you hold the top against the NFC tag everything works ~1 sec reaction time end to end.

with that, it is now a real option for presence, light on/off, door unlock ... sensing : :!:

Karl

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:48 am
autolog offline

Yes, I got round to playing with this, this afternoon. It's great and very quick. :)

I found a useful App in the iOS App Store called NFC Tools by developer wakdev.

This enables you to read and write to NFC tags from iOS - Assuming you have a newer iPhone - I am using an iPhone XS Max.

The NFC Tool tells me that the tags I have got are:
  • Tag type: ISO 1443-3a NXP Mifare Ultralight - NTAG215
  • Technologies available: Type A, Mifare Ultralight
  • Serial number: 00:01:02:03:04:05 e.g. looks like a MAC (number obfuscated)
  • ATQA: 0x0044
  • SAK: 0x00
  • Memory Information: 540 bytes: 135 pages (4 bytes each)
  • Data format: NFC Forum Type 2
  • Writable: Yes

I haven't tried writing any data yet.

You can also lock the tag. Once you have done that you can't unlock it.

As a minimum, this App is useful to interrogate what tags you have got. :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:32 pm
kw123 offline

a nice thing to add after detecting an NFC tag in the action: add a device vibrate, THEN the ssh
at least for testing but also when using it, it gives a feedback that the tag was recognized:
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 16.30.35.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 16.30.35.png (53.24 KiB) Viewed 3925 times

for my NFC tags you need to be < 1cm away from the tags to get them read

Karl

Posted on
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
Is Home Remote stil available for the Apple Watch (watchOS 6.0.1)?

I can't see it in the list of Apps to install. :?

I was wondering that as well, I also have the MacOS app (which works fine on latest Catalina Beta) but that is also not in the app store now.

The TvOS is in the app store but wants me to pay for it but that it seems is because Apple thinks I have only purchased items in the app store since September 2019 but on my other half's phone my purchases go all the way back to 28 March 2011 (Thanks Apple)

Hopefully Garry can shed some light on the missing apps.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Swancoat offline

Adding a vibration to the tags is a super idea. Probably use that in all mine.

I'm somewhere between amazed and at a loss of awesome ideas to use this for. In my experience the execution has been excellent. So far I only have one set up. We have a record player in the house that just plays through the whole-house automation system. So whenever my wife puts on a record, then she has to walk over the the controls and turn on that zone, and set it to the record player (or do the same in her phone). Now I just added a tag to the shelf near the record player. Put on your record, and bump the tag - done.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey guys. Would just like to clarify on the Apple Watch, macOS and tvOS apps...

The Apple Watch app was written in watchOS 1, which doesn’t work on watchOS 5 upwards. The functionality I need (Sockets) isn’t available in watchOS 5, so I can’t make the app for it as it stands. Hopefully Apple will make a watchOS Shortcuts app which will remove the need for mine.

The macOS app would no longer compile so it needs some rework, and has been removed whilst the versions have different functionality. The Home Remote - Remote functionality has been killed by iOS 13 not allowing you to check the SSID anymore, but I’m not sure how many people even used that.

The Apple TV app will most likely be removed soon for similar reasons.

I appreciate the removal sucks, but with Apple removing API calls that I rely on, and the limited amount of money that HR brings in, I can’t justify working on it too much. It’s pretty much if something breaks I will try and fix it, or if I personally need a new feature then I’ll add it. As always, any questions then best place to get me is @Gary_BBGames on Twitter and tell me you’re from here.