Feature Requests for iOS App

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Feature Requests for iOS App

Thought I'd start a topic with feature requests and improvements that we'd like to see. Here are mine thus far:

1. Add Indigo to the Action Type list - you can use bonjour to auto discover servers (like you do for the WeMo) on your local network (and you could add the prompt for authentication credentials there rather that in every action). This would allow you to discover Indigo Devices and Actions and users could just select the right one rather than typing in the URLs.
  2. Barring that, allow an existing action to be duplicated - that will make it easier to create new actions based on existing ones with much less typing.
  3. Change the button titles: Add Action/Update could be Save, Back could be Cancel. This would help reduce confusion.

I'm sure others will have plenty more. I look forward to see where you're going to take this!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests for iOS App

Great iOS app. I just tried it out on my phone and watch. It worked without any problems and I can execute actions from my watch now.

Adding to Jay's list:

I like his suggestion for #1 but realize that, auto discovering the Indigo Server and then reading the devices/actions lists, would be non trivial.

Even if that doesn't get done though, it would be cool if you could provide UI for the basic device actions and action group execution. That is, instead of having the user type in the raw restful URL, have them fill in their main reflector address and then let them choose between a device action versus an action to execute an action group. The user could then, depending on their selection, have additional UI fields for specifying the device (or action) name, as well as the action type (turn on, turn off, set brightness, etc.) and action value (brightness integer, etc.). Basically use the information on our restful URLs page to provide UI options that can then construct the appropriate URL given the different parameters for an action.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:30 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Hi Matt, I am just starting to look in to this. What is the difference between a device and an action groups? I see I can get a list of devices along with their properties for editing. This should make discovering the server, prompting which device to add and then building the options screen work a lot nicer, but what about action groups? Would devices alone be enough?

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:00 am
howartp offline

Devices are either physical - motion sensor, plug, switch etc - or represent a plugin's defined 'things' - an alarm zone, an IR port on a networked device, a weather location (weather underground). Each has defined states.

Plugin devs can define actions for their plugins such as arm_zone, send_IR_command, reload_current_weather.

An action group, in the UI, is a set of one or more actions - think of it as a macro. I have one for TV_On, which has several actions: Turn on device TV_Plug. Send IR command TV_Power_On. Send IR command Sky_On. Dim Lounge Lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Lovely. Thanks for the clarification so actions are just normally excited rather than have options that can be toggled?

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 pm
howartp offline

Not sure about getting excited, but they definitely exit ;-)

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Think of Action Groups as scenes - they don't contain state of any kind but rather just have a series of commands to perform, often times to create a "scene". From the perspective of the Home Remote UI, they're quite a nice parallel in how the UI works - tap a button, and something happens.

Devices, of course, are more complex in that they have state and some actions (i.e. toggle) depend on the current state.

Discovering servers, then the devices/action groups that the server has would go a long way to making the app much more usable for Indigo users. Feel free to send us an email and we can kick around some ideas that might help.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Perfect, sent you guys an email outlining my plans and asking for a little feedback.

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:00 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Just wanted to give you guys a sneak peek of 2.9 (2.8 is waiting for review).

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:31 pm
DaveL17 offline

Looking good! Thanks for adding more Indigo functionality!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:36 pm
howartp offline

Cool!

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:32 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Is it safe to assume that "restParent" can't change? There is no way to rename the "actions" parent based on language or anything?

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes - it will always be "actions" for action groups and "devices" for devices.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:52 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Thanks, and finally how should I refer to the product... Is it indigo, indigodomo or indigo domotics... can you also specify capitalisation please?

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:09 am
howartp offline

iNd1g0 ?