{LOCKED] iFindStuff Beta Testing Post

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 am
Chameleon offline

Re: iFindStuff Beta Testing Post

TOPS wrote:
Hi Mike,

I may have found a little bug, I have added another iTunes Account to the Plugin (Father in Laws) when I go to add a device under his account credentials all of mine are in the drop down menu,

Cheers,

Dave

You're using version 0.5.05 - is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:22 am
Londonmark offline

Hi Mike

First I should say GREAT plugin. Seriously impressive piece of work.

Second, 5.05 is working much better even with apostrophes in my devices. I don't have access to Indigo when away from home but the email triggers I set up this morning seem to be working.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:25 am
Chameleon offline

Cool. Mine seems to have settled as well. Now working on maps and triggers.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased with it too :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 am
rapamatic offline

I saw this error in my log this morning. Happened while both of the iPhone's I'm monitoring were sitting and charging on our night stands. I'm on 0.5.05.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:37 am
Chameleon offline

Looks as I'd the Apple server failed to take the connection. I wonder if we might see a few of these as Apple devote bandwidth to their announcements today?

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:37 am
Chameleon offline

Let's keep an eye on it... M

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:41 am
TOPS offline

Hi Mike,

Re the devices in the accounts, since the newest update all is well, "where do you keep your wand Mr Potter?" looking forward to the maps in control pages,

Well done

Dave

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:42 am
Chameleon offline

Cool... I'd love to say I resolved the bug but it was a pure coincidence

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:54 am
rapamatic offline

Mike,

I just had an idea for a small improvement. Is it possible to ignore the battery-level polling delays if the phone is charging? For example, my wife often runs down the phone while she is out running errands, then charges it back up while driving home, although the battery level is low (at least at first), we should probably be using the normal polling frequency in that case. I know a lot of time people are charging their phone in a stationary position, but at least my wife uses her car charger a lot.

Thanks for making such a great plugin :)

-Ray

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 am
Chameleon offline

rapamatic wrote:
Mike,

I just had an idea for a small improvement. Is it possible to ignore the battery-level polling delays if the phone is charging? For example, my wife often runs down the phone while she is out running errands, then charges it back up while driving home, although the battery level is low (at least at first), we should probably be using the normal polling frequency in that case. I know a lot of time people are charging their phone in a stationary position, but at least my wife uses her car charger a lot.

Thanks for making such a great plugin :)

-Ray

Sure - we already read the battery charging state so could reset the timing if it's already being charged. Need to think how we can get a trigger from the phone so it happens quickly rather than waiting for the next cycle... perhaps a refresh action...?

M

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:02 am
rapamatic offline

Chameleon wrote:

Sure - we already read the battery charging state so could reset the timing if it's already being charged. Need to think how we can get a trigger from the phone so it happens quickly rather than waiting for the next cycle... perhaps a refresh action...?

M

I didn't think of that. I'm assuming you don't have a persistent connection to the API, so there's no way for you code to get a push of the charging status.

A manual refresh action would be handy, but in an automated way it seems we have to at least wait through one cycle? Still an improvement though.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:06 am
Chameleon offline

I've specified what's involved and it's simple enough. I'm playing with the concept of an app to call the indigo server out particular events happen then that would solve the problem but I have to get better at swift first :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 am
rapamatic offline

Chameleon wrote:
I've specified what's involved and it's simple enough. I'm playing with the concept of an app to call the indigo server out particular events happen then that would solve the problem but I have to get better at swift first :)

Geez. This is becoming a massive project for you. I hope you have good plans to make some money from this. I know you've said that you don't want to charge for the indigo plugin, but I'm sure people would be happy to pay!

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:30 am
Chameleon offline

Indy_Larry wrote:
Hi Mike,

I'm not getting the setup screen to happen for me. For some reason in the event logs I'm getting the error saying I need requests.py to run the plugin <see event log>. I have the both the requests and six installed. Although I'm on Python 2.7.1 when I type "python requests" and "python six" I get no errors <see python terminal>. I've tried to delete the Plugin and reinstalling it. I do not see any preferences to be delete. Indigo is running on Mac Pro Server OS X 10.7.5

I'm sure it is something I have done, thanks for your help in advance

Sorry Larry I wanted to check with Jay and Matt before responding to your question because I thought I knew the answer but I wanted to be sure before I wrote it down.

Indigo 6.1 runs Python 2.6 (6.0 ran Python 2.5) and therefore expects any modules to be in the Python 2.6 instance on the MAC not the 2.7. From your helpful screen dumps it's clear that you've got requests.py and six.py installed BUT in the Python 2.7 instance. Indigo doesn't seem to care if Python 2.7 is the default (I know that mine was) it automatically uses the 2.6 instance that comes with 10.7.5 (as well as python 2.7).

So to get iFindStuff working on your setup we need to install requests.py and six.py into the python 2.6 space.

To install the request and six under the python 2.6 version we need to tell Terminal exactly where we want the package installed otherwise it will install requests and six under python 2.7 which is the default python version for most Mac systems and the one that's it's used in your case.

Easy install is a standard programme on MAC OS that we can use to install python libraries. As of version 0.6a11, Easy_Install installs itself under two names: easy_install and easy_install-N.N, where N.N is the Python version used to install it. Thus, if you install EasyInstall for both Python 2.6 and 2.7, you can use the easy_install-2.6 or easy_install-2.7 scripts to install packages for Python 2.6 or 2.7, respectively.

So to prepare your system for iFindStuff you need to do the following:

Open a Terminal window by clicking on Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities directory

Method 1

When the $ prompt appears you can start installing the packages you need with the following commands if you find that pip2.6 is already installed. Depending on your system you may be able to simply enter the following commands and everything will be set up if this is the case - its worth a try anyway before the slightly more complication method

$sudo pip2.6 install requestsfollowed by return (Entering your password if prompted)

$sudo pip2.6 install sixfollowed by return

That worked for me. However, as some systems don't have pip2.6 installed you'd need to do the following if that doesn't work

Method 2

Type sudo easy_install-2.6 pip followed by return

When you enter this command you may be prompted for your system password. Type in your password and press return

Now you can install the packages in the following manner:

Type sudo easy_install-2.6 pip requests followed by return

Type sudo easy_install-2.6 pip six followed by return

Entering your password if prompted

You can test if your installation has worked properly by doing the following:

Type python2.6 following by return at the $ prompt

You will be presented with the python login prompt >>>

Now type import requests and the system should simply return with the >>> prompt again and no errors

Now type import six and the system should return with the >>> prompt for the final time

It's very important that you enter python2.6 to make sure that it looks at the right instance for testing!

If you get an error saying that the package requests or six doesn’t exist then something hasn’t worked properly. Send me a screen grab of the error and I’ll try to help you sort it out.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 am
Chameleon offline

rapamatic wrote:
Chameleon wrote:

Geez. This is becoming a massive project for you. I hope you have good plans to make some money from this. I know you've said that you don't want to charge for the indigo plugin, but I'm sure people would be happy to pay!

Nah not really - it's a hobby although I suspect my wife would rather I did more DIY about the place :roll:

When you ask people to pay for something they rightly expect more than 'best endeavours' and as we go through the Beta stage I can't guarantee that we'll resolve every issue although we've done fine so far. For me it's just a problem to solve and I like resolving impossible problems :D I get to develop my skills & knowledge, get great support from Matt, Jay and all of the testers including yourself and I get to make the odd American jibe along the way :shock:

I spent the last 4 years in Atlanta so it's good way for me to somehow keep in touch with the fun I had and the US culture as well.

Mike