Clickable URL links in ConfigUI

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Clickable URL links in ConfigUI

Is there any way to make a clickable hyperlink in a ConfigUI interface that opens the browser on the client? I realize I can make a button that calls browserOpen(), but that opens a window on the server, which is quite useless if the server is a headless Mac Mini in a closet. :-(

In fact, is there any way an Indigo plugin can communicate in any way with the client side of an Indigo connection? The UI comes up there (and, we hope soon, only there :-)), but I know nothing about the client - not its name or IP address, not the user name, not how to run code over there, nothing. (Or do I?)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 am
mat offline

Re: Clickable URL links in ConfigUI

way off my understanding but I launch plex on my os devises from a control page by using

"client action" on control pages, link to "external url", the "plexapp://"

Not sure if safari or other browsers have the ability to launch remotely unless the app allows it

Not sure if this needs including within the indigo touch app but found this:

http://iosdevelopertips.com/cocoa/launching-the-browser-from-within-an-iphone-application.html

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Not currently. I definitely agree having browserOpen() run on the Indigo Server machine is less than useful when running a remote Indigo client. We'll add improving this to our ToDo list.

The internal messaging model between Indigo Clients<->Indigo Server<->Indigo Plugins isn't currently setup for the plugin to be able to easily communicate back to the client GUI. It can be added (eventually) of course, but there is nothing there currently to support the channel you need. We might be able to special case browser URL opening on the client in the near term though, especially if the URL isn't dynamic (that is, you just need a static URL embedded in your ConfigUI somewhere).

Note also you can specify in the XML a <SupportURL> that is opened if the user clicks on the ? Help button in the dialog. It will be opened on the client side.

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am
Perry The Cynic offline

The specific case is a plugin for forecast.io, which requires that each user go to their registration page to get their own API key (and paste it into a configuration field). On the second hand, they're also asking for a "powered by..." notice with a hyperlink to their site.

While you're working through the architectural issues, can we at least get a hyperLink="url" parameter to <Label> elements that, when clicked, opens a browser window on the client? That shouldn't pose architectural problems since it's all client-side activity, right? And if I'm sufficiently desperate, I can compose the XML to make that (more) dynamic...

Cheers
-- perry

Page 1 of 1