New to Google Voice: Use own number or get new one?

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:05 pm
hamw offline

New to Google Voice: Use own number or get new one?

Could those of you with GV accounts comment on how you set them up? I see one can link their home number or establish a new one? What works best for Indigo and overall? Are there any Google privacy/big brother concerns? Suggestions for how best to use GV with Indigo? I've seen the plugin and it looks good.

Thanks very much!

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 am
Dewster35 offline

Re: New to Google Voice: Use own number or get new one?

I just went ahead and setup a new number for google voice and I ONLY use that for indigo. I've setup a contact in my phone, "House" and I've assigned that number, so any messages that come through, come solely from that contact (with the door bell text tone appropriately enough). It also makes it easier for home control with siri "Tell house...."

As for security? Do I trust google? No. My general feeling is that ANYTHING that touches the internet isn't secure, but maybe I've been burned by some of the cloud services more times than others.

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:13 am
hamw offline

How do I send an SMS from Indigo to my google voice number? I tried XXXXXXXXXX@txt.voice.google.com but that seems to not go through.

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:20 am
Dewster35 offline

The instructions are super confusing to setup. Basically, you need a device setup for each phone you want to send messages to. These would be your personal phones.

In the configuration menu for google voice, you would give your account credentials. The google voice number you'll use for your house is already affiliated with that account if you've signed up for a google voice account using it.

To use it as a notification system, you would send a message to your personal phone... the devices you setup earlier.

To use it for control, you have to setup the commands you'll use as triggers and who they'll be coming from (so a random person can't muck with your system just by sending your house a text). The command trigger should be in all lower case for the trigger. I personally have a handshake type system when if this trigger is received, it sends me back a message saying that it was received. Not completely a handshake, but that verifies that the indigo received the message and the trigger has occurred.

Edit:

I just realized... are you using just google voice for your own use or are you using the google voice plugin for notification and control of indigo?

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:42 am
hamw offline

I've got it working, I believe, with my personal phone set up as a device. I was just wondering if it's possible to send my Google voice number a text message via email as I would like to use it for find my friends. For some reason I can't send an email from find my friends via my normal Gmail account. Very weird, and I was thinking Google voice might be a workaround for both enhancing home control and getting find my friends to work better.

Page 1 of 1