source control for collaborative plugin dev (GitHub?)

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:22 pm
discgolfer1138 offline

source control for collaborative plugin dev (GitHub?)

I would be interested to hear what any other plugin developers out there are using for source control (if at all). I have recently started developing a few plugins and have decided to host all my work in public repositories on GitHub. It helps me keep things organized and well-documented as well as providing an easy opportunity for other developers to follow along and contribute if they wish.

While I am aware that the User Contribution Library seems to be the 'approved' outlet for developers to release plugins to the public, I was hoping for a way to foster a more collaborative effort. GitHub's Fork/Pull-Request mechanism makes it easy for other devs to checkout each other's code, patch issues and submit them for inclusion in the next release. If memory serves, there are a few plugins out there that are pay-to-play, so obviously an open-source model wouldn't work for those developers...

Either way, I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what other folks thought :)

ps - if anyone is interested in checking out my fledgling plugins, they are available here:
https://github.com/discgolfer1138/

(all Indigo-related projects are prefixed with 'indigo_')

Indigo 6.1.0 | Mac Mini | OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
Fork Me on GitHub!

Page 1 of 1