Request - ELK M1G Plugin

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 am
Swancoat offline

Request - ELK M1G Plugin

Anyone out there have an ELK M1G?

I feel like a whiner writing this post. I REALLY want the plugin but have no skillz to write it. (My Grand Concerto Applescript took me long enough to write, and barely gets me by).

I've read the occasional thread on this site about people trying to write a script for the ELK. So consider this an official request (sounds much better than begging).

I really want access to all of my the zone sensors and other Elk Events. (i.e. use arming or disarming the alarm as an Indigo trigger).

I'd love to provide any assistance that a guy who isn't a programmer can do.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Request - ELK M1G Plugin

I slightly modified the title of your post to signify that you're requesting this plugin. It's already on the plugin request wiki page.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 pm
Swancoat offline

Sweet! Now where do I submit a request for a Pentair pool panel? (Serial control, yadda yadda yadda).

Maybe with all of my requests I should learn Python. Is that even practical for a guy with no programming background?

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Added (along with Zodiac/Jandy).

As for learning Python - it depends on how persistent you are and how strong your desire to learn is. The Python web site has a page of links to sites specifically geared to people who have no programming background.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm
jcrides offline

I'll be getting around to doing this at some point. I have a solution that works for me (using ruby) at the moment. It's set up pretty specifically for my system so I doubt it would be much use for anyone else. I've done things like hard code motion detector and door sensor addresses for example. I have this pretty ugly variable passing thing going on to make the system do stuff. It also had very limited error checking, so one little blip and you have to restart it. It has been stable for me though since I haven't changed my system much since I wrote it.

With the plugin API in Indigo 5 I'm going to be rewriting it in python and trying to make it more generally usable. I'm guessing it'll be at least a month before it's ready for others to test/use.

Oh and for learning python, I found the Byte of Python books to be a good starting point. :)

~JC

Posted on
Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:31 am
Swancoat offline

Sign me up to beta-test this thing.

Page 1 of 1