Plugin Update Checker Module

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:15 pm
travisc offline

I've created an update checker module that can be easily included in any indigo plugin. I started with berkinet's versionCheck method, which worked great, but then my imagination got the best of me.

I wanted to have a version checking module that would meet the following requirements:

1. Have the option to email a user once for each new version release.
    Maybe it's just me, but I rarely check my logs unless something is wrong. Email's the only reliable notification option for me. I've also had a few of my plugins break after an Indigo update (usually something I did wrong). It's not always obvious to the user that there's a problem. It would be nice to have a facility where I can notify the users of an important update. The plugin saves the version number last emailed to the user so they're only notified once per version.

2. The email subject and body can be controlled by the author for each update.
    This way the user can be notified of what's changed without them having to go looking in the forums. A download link can optionally be added into the body of the email.

3. Really easy to add to any plugin.
    I was aiming for two or three lines of code. One line to create the instance and setup the module. One more to allow it to see if it's time to check for an update. Then one more if you want to force an update manually, like from a menu action. The plugin handles all the config checking and state saving on its own.

Other than those points, the basic concept is the same as berkinet's versionCheck method. The module checks a master file on a server somewhere that lists the most current version number. If the version number on the server is higher, the user is first notified by a note in the log. If the file on the server also contains an email subject and body, those are emailed to the user using Indigo's built-in email feature. For emails to work, the user must have email sending setup in Indigo's preferences.

Using indigoPluginUpdateChecker

1. You can download the module here.

2. Put the module in your plugin's Server Plugin folder, and import the module at the top of your plugin.py:
Code: Select all
import indigoPluginUpdateChecker

3. Create the instance and setup the module in your plugin's __Init__ method:
self.updater = indigoPluginUpdateChecker.updateChecker(self, versionFileUrl [,daysBetweenChecks])

where:
    - versionFileUrl is the url for the location of your update info file. The url must be formatted like "http://www.domain.com/folder/versionInfoFile.html"
    - daysBetweenChecks is optional and defaults to 1. This controls how often the module will check for updates automatically. They can always be checked for manually by running self.updater.checkVersionNow()

4. Call the poller in your runConcurrentThread so the module can see if it's time to check for an update. It doesn't matter how often this method is called, it will only actually check for updates once a day (unless daysBetweenChecks was overridden).

If you've already got a runConcurrentThread that loops, just add the line below:
self.updater.checkVersionPoll()

If you don't have a runConcurrentThread then a simple example is below:
def runConcurrentThread(self):
   # While Indigo hasn't told us to shutdown
   while self.shutdown is False:
      self.updater.checkVersionPoll()
      self.sleep(1)

def stopConcurrentThread(self):
   self.shutdown = True

To force the module to check for updates you can use the following method:
self.updater.checkVersionNow()

PluginConfig.xml
If you'd like to use the email feature, you need to have at least a text box for an email address in your plugin's config. You can also optionally have a checkbox that's used to enable/disable email notifications. Regardless of either of these settings the module will always check the server at the set interval and make a note in the log.

<!-- Do NOT change the ids -->
<Field id="updaterEmail" type="textfield">
   <Label>Email:</Label>
</Field>
<Field id="updaterEmailNote" type="label" fontColor="darkgray" fontSize="small" alignWithControl="true">
   <Label>Email sending must be configured in Indigo's preferences.</Label>
</Field>

<!-- Optionally a checkbox can also be used. -->
<Field id="updaterEmailsEnabled" type="checkbox" defaultValue="true">
   <Label>Email Update Notifications:</Label>
</Field>

Some values are automatically saved in the plugin's prefs file for use by the updater:
    'updaterLastCheck' = Last time an update check was performed (epoch time)
    'updaterLastVersionEmailed' = The last version emailed to the user

Checking Manually
If you want to have a Check for Updates option in the plugin's menu.

MenuItems.xml:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<MenuItems>
    <MenuItem id="menu1">
        <Name>Check for Updates</Name>
        <CallbackMethod>checkForUpdates</CallbackMethod>
    </MenuItem>
</MenuItems>

Then the following method in your plugin.py:
def checkForUpdates(self):
   indigo.server.log(u"Manually checking for updates")
   self.updater.checkVersionNow()

Sample Server Version Info File
Below is a template for the version file that must reside on a server. The only mandatory line is the first one. That will cause a note to be displayed in the Indigo log. If you don't want a notification emailed to the user then don't include the EmailSubject: or EmailBody:.
Version: 1.3.1
EmailSubject: DSC Alarm Indigo Plugin Update
EmailBody: The DSC Alarm Plugin you are using with Indigo has been updated to version 1.3.1.

The changes are:
- Change 1
- Change 2

The update can be downloaded at the link below.
http://www.domain.com/plugins/plugin.zip

This email was sent to you by Indigo at the request of the plugin.  You will only be emailed once per release.  To disable these emails see the plugin's config.
Last edited by travisc on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plugin Update Checker Module

Great idea and implementation -- thanks for sharing it, Travis!

Posted on
Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:40 pm
nlagaros offline

Travis - I just implemented your module in my Sonos plugin. The directions were excellent. Thank you.

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 am
travisc offline

nlagaros wrote:
Travis - I just implemented your module in my Sonos plugin. The directions were excellent. Thank you.

Your welcome! :D

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:16 pm
nsheldon offline

I just added this to my new Energy EAGLE plugin too. It works perfectly. I plan on adding it to all my other plugins as well. Great work Travis!

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 pm
Dewster35 offline

This is something I've been kind of wishing for for quite a while! Thanks guys! A slight suggestion... is it possible to have the plugin just use a default email addy? For someone who has accumulated quite a few third party plugins, entering the notification email addy over and over again becomes quite redundant.

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm
travisc offline

Dewster35 wrote:
This is something I've been kind of wishing for for quite a while! Thanks guys! A slight suggestion... is it possible to have the plugin just use a default email addy? For someone who has accumulated quite a few third party plugins, entering the notification email addy over and over again becomes quite redundant.

That would be nice, but I don't think that's possible right now. To my knowledge Indigo doesn't have a preference for an email address.

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:15 am
midd offline

There is an email setting in Indigo preferences.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There is no default To address and those settings aren't available to plugins in any event.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1