How Can I Execute a Request Beep Command Using Python or AS

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm
nsheldon offline

How Can I Execute a Request Beep Command Using Python or AS

I'm looking for a way to request a beep from an INSTEON device through a script (either Python of AppleScript) so that I can implement some conditional logic within a triggered action. I'm hoping there's something similar to the turnOn action, such as

Code: Select all
insteon.device.requestBeep(indigo.devices['My Light'].id)

Posted on
Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How Can I Execute a Request Beep Command Using Python or

We don't expose it directly in the API but you can always execute an action group.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 am
nsheldon offline

Okay. Yea, I kinda figured that was the direction I'd need to go. Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am
nsheldon offline

Actually, on further contemplation, using an Action Group wouldn't work unless I created an action group for every one of my SwitchLincs and KeypandLincs. I use the beep as user feedback for enabling or disabling motion activated lighting in each room. I was hoping to be able to use 1 beep for enabled and 2 beeps for disabled, with conditional logic based on current Indigo variable state within the trigger's action.

However, with a bit more searching, it appears it IS possible to send a beep request with Python and AppleScript by sending a Standard Direct INSTEON command 0x30 0xYY (YY being a numerical representation of duration, though not all devices support it). I'll probably go the raw INSTEON command method. I'll do some testing tonight to see which of my dimmers/relays support the duration byte as well.

Posted on
Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, that should work. Of course, I think there are fewer modules that support the beep functionality than that don't, but that's less relevant to the discussion. Given our NDA we aren't supposed to be supplying that information or I would have suggested it in the first place... ;)

And, action groups would work - it would just be a bit cumbersome... :P

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 am
nsheldon offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yep, that should work. Of course, I think there are fewer modules that support the beep functionality than that don't, but that's less relevant to the discussion. Given our NDA we aren't supposed to be supplying that information or I would have suggested it in the first place... ;)

And, action groups would work - it would just be a bit cumbersome... :P

Yea. I'm sure your right. I haven't tried sending the beep to anything other than dimmers and relays, but all of those (both older and newer) work. I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned the raw command. Forgot about the whole NDA thing. ;-) Luckily another user in this forum had already disclosed that information in a different thread started before beep functionality was included in Indigo. The INSTEON Command Table simply shows command 1 values of 0x30 through 0x3F as "reserved", so here and Google were the only non-NDAed-user way of finding that info.

Anyway. Question answered and solution found. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1