GHPU failure messages

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:21 am
FlyingDiver offline

GHPU failure messages

All my current plugins use the ghpu.py (GitHub Plugin Updater) for notifications that a newer version of the plugin is available. This module is now failing due to changes at GitHub. All users should change the update check frequency to 0 in the plugin config dialog. This will prevent the module from attempting to communicate with GitHub and will stop the error messages.

I haven't decided if I'm going to re-release the plugins with an updated ghpu.py module, remove it entirely, or wait until there's a stable API for doing update checks via the Plugin Store.

How useful do people find this built-in functionality, vs seeing update notices in the forums?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: GHPU failure messages

FlyingDiver wrote:
wait until there's a stable API for doing update checks via the Plugin Store.

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=20218

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 am
FlyingDiver offline

For some reason I thought that was a temporary solution. I guess I was conflating that post with the previous simple script that was posted.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
For some reason I thought that was a temporary solution. I guess I was conflating that post with the previous simple script that was posted.

It's now a published API so it won't stop working anytime soon (and not without a ton of deprecation warning time). I don't think we've ever actually deprecated an API so I guess AppleScript will be the first (and we've been warning of that for years).

Temporary in that we will eventually have update checks built-in so plugins don't have to do anything special.

So feel free to use it - that's why I went to the trouble of building and documenting it! ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 pm
FlyingDiver offline

lanbrown wrote:
The issue is that Github now only supports TLS 1.2 only which went into effect yesterday.

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20127&p=155142&hilit=github#p155142

macOS Sierra (10.12.x) and lower use an old version of OpenSSL (0.9.8 train) and it does not support TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2. In High Sierra App replaced OpenSSL with LibreSSL which does support TLS 1.2. So when Python is used, it calls OpenSSL in Sierra and lower and LibreSSL in High Sierra.

So if the API isn't used for the Indigo Plugin store, then the only other option is the use of cURL (which uses Apple Secure Transport instead of OpenSSL) to connect to Github.

I knew all this, I just didn't know the date it would finally go into effect. This thread was to give a a heads up to all users on how to eliminate the error messages until fixed plugins could be posted.

Which I did earlier tonight. But you can't use the existing plugin mechanism to update, since it fails talking to GitHub. All users should use the Plugin Store to get the current version with the curl version of ghpu.py.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm
chobo offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Which I did earlier tonight. But you can't use the existing plugin mechanism to update, since it fails talking to GitHub. All users should use the Plugin Store to get the current version with the curl version of ghpu.py.

Thanks for the extremely quick work on these updates, Joe! It's very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1