Small feature request

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 am
smackie offline

Small feature request

Dave,

Just wanted to say a sincere "thank you" for the WUnderstation plugin. Very, very useful - especially now that meteohub seems to have slightly dubious support for the rfxcom interface these days. Nice to be able to pull in state from zwave sensors as well.

Just ran into a small issue that I thought I'd mention. I have a slightly dodgy Oregon Scientific barometer and wanted to remove barometer data from my WU uploads. Unfortunately, there's no way to do this with the UI. I ended up fixing the problem by stopping the WU plugin, editing the config manually to put "None" in the barometer variable field and restarting.

On the next rev, could you add "None" as a valid popup menu option? That way, you can remove a sensor from the WU publish after it's been configured. Niche, I know, but it might be useful to someone (especially if you're messing around with the less critical fields).

Cheers!

Scott...

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Small feature request

smackie wrote:
Dave,

Just wanted to say a sincere "thank you" for the WUnderstation plugin. Very, very useful - especially now that meteohub seems to have slightly dubious support for the rfxcom interface these days. Nice to be able to pull in state from zwave sensors as well.

Just ran into a small issue that I thought I'd mention. I have a slightly dodgy Oregon Scientific barometer and wanted to remove barometer data from my WU uploads. Unfortunately, there's no way to do this with the UI. I ended up fixing the problem by stopping the WU plugin, editing the config manually to put "None" in the barometer variable field and restarting.

On the next rev, could you add "None" as a valid popup menu option? That way, you can remove a sensor from the WU publish after it's been configured. Niche, I know, but it might be useful to someone (especially if you're messing around with the less critical fields).

Cheers!

Scott...

Hi Scott - thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear that you find the plugin useful.

This is a great idea, and frankly should have been a feature from the outset. I'll add that to the next rev of the plugin. I have a couple bugs to chase down in another plugin first, but it sounds like you found a good solution for the time being.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am
smackie offline

Small feature request

Dave,

That'd be great. One other thing I want to dig into is a minor nit but it'd be cool to fix. For WU feeds, if you supply the inside temp and humidity, the iPad wunderstation app will allow you to add a tile that shows the inside temps. Useful for remote monitoring. This works for a weather station that I have with meteohub as the WU uploader. However, pretty much the same setup with WUnderstation doesn't present the "home" tile as an option even tho' the same data is being uploaded. Not sure what the trigger is for this (and WU are their usual helpful selves :roll: ) but I guess I'll dig into the URL that meteohub generates and see if I can spot any differences.

Btw, if you're okay with it, I might have a crack at providing UK MetOffice WOW support using WUnderstation as a basis in a new plugin. It's a very similar URL scheme and it'd be nice to be able to upload to the MetOffice systems as well for UK folks.

But, in all seriousness, WUnderstation has been a great find - especially for those of us who cobble together weather info from a variety of sources. :D

Cheers

Scott...

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

smackie wrote:
Dave,

That'd be great. One other thing I want to dig into is a minor nit but it'd be cool to fix. For WU feeds, if you supply the inside temp and humidity, the iPad wunderstation app will allow you to add a tile that shows the inside temps. Useful for remote monitoring. This works for a weather station that I have with meteohub as the WU uploader. However, pretty much the same setup with WUnderstation doesn't present the "home" tile as an option even tho' the same data is being uploaded. Not sure what the trigger is for this (and WU are their usual helpful selves :roll: ) but I guess I'll dig into the URL that meteohub generates and see if I can spot any differences.

Btw, if you're okay with it, I might have a crack at providing UK MetOffice WOW support using WUnderstation as a basis in a new plugin. It's a very similar URL scheme and it'd be nice to be able to upload to the MetOffice systems as well for UK folks.

But, in all seriousness, WUnderground has been a great find - especially for those of us who cobble together weather info from a variety of sources. :D

Cheers

Scott...

A *very* quick read through of the protocol (http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol) yields nothing obvious. If you have a better source--or more information--please share it.

More importantly, you are free to do whatever you like with the plugin code. Fork it, push an improvement, contribute to the wiki--whatever you like.

Cheers!
Dave

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hi Scott - turns out 'None' was in there all along. I had inadvertently added a filter that caused that option to be eliminated before the list was displayed. Ooops.

I've pushed v1.0.03 which reinstates the option. I haven't made this part of a release yet, but please try the latest repo and see if that fits your bill.

Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:54 pm
smackie offline

Dave,

I hate it when that happens! :D I'll update my repo clone when I get a chance this weekend and have a look. Thanks!

Scott...

Page 1 of 1