Nest Current status

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 pm
farberm offline

Nest Current status

I was wonder what the current status is now that google has taken over. Do all nest devices, thermostat smoke alarm etc work seamlessly thru the plug-in?

Looking to replace some smoke detectors and thermostats?

Thx in advance

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:44 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Nest Current status

Short answer: no.

Obviously as you know, the plugin was written before the Google takeover of Nest.

Back at that time the plugin was written, Nest was promoting an API and HA eco-system called "Works-With-Nest" and the plugin was built on this API. Nest made several revisions and waves of changes to their products (and their API). Nest added new layers and features like "Eco" temperatures, they deprecated Home/Away temperatures used in the original API. They added support for multiple "structures" on a single account which you can use for situations where you have a vacation home, a apartment attached to your house, just multiple houses. The Indigo plugin has not been updated and thus does not recognize or support these revisions to the API or features, which can cause varying degrees of "breakage" to the Indigo experience. Essentially, the interface, features, and terminology you see via the Nest app drifted out of alignment with those of the Indigo plugin. I'm mentioning this for conext -- I realize this feature drift has nothing to do with the specific OP question (specifically "now that google has taken over...."), but I suspect is still relevant to what he really wanted to know.

The only devices the plugin ever supported to my knowledge were the Nest thermostat and the Nest Protect smoke/CO detector. Since the plugin was written, Nest has come out with additional products, including cameras, an alarm system, doorbell, and a lock (in partnership with Yale). Nest also came out with an external temperature sensor for their thermostats. Afaik, none of those are supported by the plugin.

So lastly, the big change in the landscape came, as I suspect you are aware, from Google's takeover of Nest and ramifications cascading from that. Google "canceled" (essentially) having a distinct Nest brand and product line. They canceled (essentially) the entire Works with Nest program. They announced they were shutting down the original Nest API on which the Indigo plugin was based (though they have since stalled a bit on this). They announced their intent that any kind of direct access to Nest products (of the type provided by WWN API employed by the Indigo plugin) would not be supported and that instead all access to the new Google universe would be through their "Works with Google Home" architecture, based on their google home assistant.

I can't tell exactly from the wording of your question, but if you are looking to replace thermostats and smoke detectors and you do not currently use the NEST Home Indigo plugin, I would first check to see if you can still do things you would need to do as a potential new user. Specifically, can you still create a Nest account? Can you register new Nest products using that account? Can you still get a Nest Authorization Key to allow the plugin to access the API? Sorry, but I don't know the answer to these questions because it's been ~7 years since I set up my account. I do know that Google has been pushing me persistently towards converting my Nest account to a Google account (which would disable the plugin) for some time.

If you already use the plugin and already have a Nest account (and have not converted it to a Google account) and you are asking if you can buy new Nest devices (specifically thermostats and Protect detectors) and either replace existing products or add to your existing system, then I think the answer is "yes".

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm
farberm offline

Re: Nest Current status

I have an accout that I never converted to Google, however I am pretty sure you no longer can get and API key. Thanks for your help. much appreciated

Page 1 of 1