Works with Nest changes - What does this mean for us?

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 pm
Nidocamen offline

Re: Works with Nest changes - What does this mean for us?

Slightly O/T - and it won't matter once the APIs get turned off in Aug, but...

Due to a recent ISP switch / bandwidth upgrade, I've switched to a Google OnHub - a friend of mine gave it to me - better potential speeds compared to the 2009 Airport Extreme I had.

Anyways, I'm on fiber-to-the-home on CenturyLink. And perhaps it's CL and not the OnHub, but somehow the Nest only seems to "receive" about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of the commands I send it via Nest Home in Indigo. I just don't get it. I may put the old Airport Extreme back in the mix to see if somehow that was the issue. Most all other Wi-FI devices are running fine on the OnHub but the Nest is really flaky now. I'm not a network expert, and I just don't get it.

Anyways, I felt I wanted to somehow chime in, somewhere, lol.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am
ottoppp offline

Google announcement (https://blog.google/products/google-nest/updates-works-with-nest/) that:

...we’re committed to supporting the integrations you value and minimizing disruptions during this transition, so here’s our updated plan for retiring WWN:

Your existing devices and integrations will continue working with your Nest Account, however you won’t have access to new features that will be available with a Google Account. If we make changes to the existing WWN connections available to you with your Nest Account, we will make sure to keep you informed.
    We’ll stop accepting new WWN connections on August 31, 2019. Once your WWN functionality is available on the WWGA platform you can migrate with minimal disruption from a Nest Account to a Google Account.

So, if you have a WWN integration, it should continue to work as long as you don't migrate your account, and they will add functionality to WWGA that is not already available in WWN, and let you know it's there before turning off WWN functionality.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 pm
dduff617 offline

I'm seeing some (maybe?) conflicting information.

Above in this thread, ottoppp's post seemed to indicate that there might be some lingering afterlife for integrations like Indigo Nest Home plugin beyond the 8/31 shutdown date. Also ianbrown's post says "your existing devices and integrations will continue working with your Nest account". So that sounds a bit hopeful that we might at least have some extra time to develop some workarounds while the plugin continues to function.

However, without much digging, I found front and center on the Google FAQ page, the following:
What happens to my existing Works with Nest connections if I don’t migrate my Nest Account to Google? When will my connections stop working?

If you choose not to migrate your Nest Account to a Google Account, your Works with Nest connections will continue to work until August 31, 2019, when the service is turned off.

We’ll keep the Works with Nest service running until then. During this time, your Works with Nest connections will continue to work on the Nest Account you use to sign in to your Nest app today. We will notify all Nest Account holders by email two weeks before the Works with Nest service is turned off.

Once we turn off the Works with Nest program completely, all of your integrations will stop working. Some of our Works with Nest partners may choose to turn off their Nest integrations earlier than August 31, so those integrations will stop working earlier.

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I thought this post from FlyingDiver was relevant to the conversation...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 am
gg2 offline

Is there a central page on Indigodomo that summarizes what we can do with our NEST thermostats and Indigo? At present, I am unable to interface them (I was forced to migrate from old NEST to Google interface). Is that where it stands or is there a method that will work? When will the situation change? Many thanks,

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:46 pm
sparker offline

Well, it's happening. Got this email today:

‌Thank you for being a valued customer and a part of the Nest family.

Works with Nest was created in 2014 as a way for other smart home device makers to take what Nest knows and personalize your experience with their products, such as turning off the device maker’s smart lights when Nest detects you’re away. The connected home has evolved significantly since then, and we’ve implemented numerous updates to enhance how you interact with and manage devices with Google Home.

In 2019, we made the decision to eventually retire Works with Nest to unify our efforts around third-party connected home devices under a single platform for developers to build features for a more helpful home – with a focus on compatibility, security, and privacy. The goal is to simplify the developer experience and give you more control over how your data is shared.
We’re reaching out to let you know that after extending support for Works with Nest for the last few years, it will wind down and no longer work as of September 29, 2023.

What this means for you.

Through September 28, 2023, all current Works with Nest connections will remain active, and you can continue to use Works with Nest as you do now.

In the coming months, you’ll be able to use a script editor to create advanced home automations that will offer new features and capabilities. We’re also working closely with our partners to provide replacement integrations where possible. Learn about the changes and options available to you.

Starting September 29, 2023, the connections will no longer work and you will lose access to them.

We’re committed to helping you and minimizing disruptions. If you need help, our support agents are standing by.

The Nest team

I've been ignoring this topic since the original announcements, so I guess I better start reading again to understand the implications... :)

Steve

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:32 pm
dduff617 offline

also see this thread for some recent discussion, including a recommended alternative.