Support for Nest Temperature Sensor?

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm
dcjackson offline

Support for Nest Temperature Sensor?

Would it be possible to add support for the new Nest Temperature Sensor?

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-tempe ... /overview/

These report temperature in other rooms of the house, and you can configure the thermostat to use a particular sensor as the one to use to make thermostat decisions.

The main thing I care about would be the ability to log the temperature readings in each room over time via Indigo.

I don't really care about using Indigo to set which temperature sensor to use with the thermostat....

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:06 am
bdubnm offline

Re: Support for Nest Temperature Sensor?

Looking for support for this as well.

Issue: Nest allows you to add multiple Temp sensors to your system and set schedules for WHEN you want change temperatures. However, NEST only gives you 4 options of which sensor to use during predefined blocks. Time Blocks: Morning (7am-11am), Midday (11am-4pm), Evening (4pm-9pm), Night 9pm-7am). So you can set your schedule to occur at anytime, you can't select the Temp Sensor to use until the corresponding block occurs.

Use Case: I want to set a schedule in Domotics and pick the Temp sensor to base the action on WHEN I want the change in temperature to occur, not when NEST's 4 blocks occur.
Example: In my house I only have a single zone for a 3,500 sqft house. The temperatures in my downstairs and upstairs and various rooms upstairs are different by about 6 degrees normally and up to 10 degrees in summer when south facing side of house heats up significantly. I want to start cooling the upstairs at 7PM and use one of my upstairs Temp sensors. This way its nice and cool come 9pm when we typically go to bed. Unfortunately, given the way NEST implements this, it wont switch to the upstairs temp sensor until 9PM, so we have a very warm bedroom until about 10 or 11 pm.

Request: Need the temp sensors to show up as devices in the Nest Home plugin so I can write schedules and triggers to support the schedule I want.

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am
FlyingDiver offline

The author of this plugin hasn't logged onto the boards in 6 months. And I think I read in another thread that Google has locked out all access to the API other than their apps.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:24 am
bdubnm offline

The author of this plugin hasn't logged onto the boards in 6 months. And I think I read in another thread that Google has locked out all access to the API other than their apps.

Thanks Joe. I am seeing that as well. Google has effectively locked out all non-google apps from registering new API keys. I guess I am lucky that the Nest Home plugin still works at all since I installed it a few years ago and never migrated my account from a Nest user to a google user.

Disappointing to say the least. Looks like my "fix" is to replace the nest thermostat and sensors to something that 1) has API access and 2) someone has developed a plugin for.
Last edited by bdubnm on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:28 am
FlyingDiver offline

There's a public API for the Ecobees, and a plugin for them, which I maintain. It's got it's quirks, but generally works OK. Just be aware that trying to run your own temperature logic in Indigo and overruling the Ecobee logic can be difficult. These "Smart" thermostats have minds of their own...

Feel free to post in that forum.

I actually have a couple Ecobees that I'm not using anymore. I can't use them with my new Trane variable-speed system, they require special sensors and control units.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:34 am
bdubnm offline

There's a public API for the Ecobees, and a plugin for them, which I maintain.

Thanks again Joe. I will take a look and see if the Ecobees fit my needs and dig through your plugins posts to see if the logic overrides I want are doable.

Page 1 of 1