nest thermostat 3rd generation: supported?

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:55 pm
dduff617 offline

nest thermostat 3rd generation: supported?

docs say that generation 1 or generation 2 nest product is required. i notice that there are now 3rd-generation thermostats available. 2nd gen are also still available at slightly reduced price.

am i safe in assuming that the plugin will work with 3rd generation thermostats?

thanks.

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:14 pm
Chameleon offline

Re: nest thermostat 3rd generation: supported?

dduff617 wrote:
docs say that generation 1 or generation 2 nest product is required. i notice that there are now 3rd-generation thermostats available. 2nd gen are also still available at slightly reduced price.

am i safe in assuming that the plugin will work with 3rd generation thermostats?

thanks.

Hiya

Sure is if my testing and the reports from one user are sufficient. I've tested it using the latest Google API and testing environment (which includes Generation 3) and it performs perfectly. I also had one user who's installed Gen 1, 2 and 3 in the same system and that seems to work fine. Personally, I decided not to upgrade as there wasn't really a great deal of changes between the systems and the API certainly hasn't changed. Of course you do get a more readable display but I don't use the nest to find out what's going on anyway and the latest version of software Google downloaded to the NEST 2nd Generation did the important stuff like controlling the boiler if a Nest Protect triggers an issue and displaying the current alarm status so that was good enough for me :)

Oh and you've reminded me that I need to update the documentation :roll: :oops:

Hope that helps and good luck.

If you need any help with configuration drop me a line

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:55 pm
dduff617 offline

thanks for quick reply. i assumed it was probably compatible but don't own any nest thermostats yet and so wasn't really familiar with the level of changes from v2 to v3.

Posted on
Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:10 pm
yergeyj offline

In case you are still wondering, Nest Home works great with the Nest Thermostat 3rd generation. I have 9 Nest Protects, and just installed the thermostat this past week, and all works well.

Jim

P.S. I got some errors related to the humidity sensor when it first installed, but a while later the sensor was added and everything seems fine.

Page 1 of 1