Utilize motion sensors in Nest Protect & Thermostat

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:45 pm
nev offline

Utilize motion sensors in Nest Protect & Thermostat

I think this is a limit on Nest's side, but I thought I'd ask. Is it possible to setup a trigger based on the detection of motion from either of these two Nest devices using "NEST Home"? Right now, the Nest products just light up when you walk past. This would be a great feature, but I know easier said then done.

Posted on
Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:34 pm
Chameleon offline

Re: Utilize motion sensors in Nest Protect & Thermostat

Nev

The limitation is on the NEST side :?

The protects only 'call home' when there's an emergency or twice a day (on battery ) or four times a day (on power). So although in theory it could tell us that information it doesn't. It does store it tho because the NEST report shows when the pathlight was used. In theory you should also be able to get information from the Thermostat as well. I'm assuming the limitation is because Google are thinking of releasing a motion sensor as part of the NEST suite and this would be in competition with it!

I've lobbied Google to include the pathlight in the next API release along with quite a few others. The moment it happens - I'll include it.

There may be some options around the NEST Cam as a trigger but it's an expensive piece of kit (especially the monthly subscription).

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 1