Nest Temperature Resolution

Posted on
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm
SSteve offline

Nest Temperature Resolution

Thanks a bunch for making this plugin. I've just started a temperature logging project and this is working perfectly for getting the temperature from my three thermostats. I've noticed that the temperatures (in Fahrenheit) are always whole numbers. Is this inherent in the Nest or am I getting the value incorrectly? Here's the pertinent code:

Code: Select all
import time
f = open ("/Users/steve/Documents/Temperature History/Temperature History.csv", "a")
f.write(time.asctime() + ", " + str(indigo.devices[622658917].sensorValue) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[1018854453].temperatures[0]) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[1176616821].temperatures[0]) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[986957268].temperatures[0]) + "\n")
f.close()

The first device is a Z-Wave multi sensor. The other three are Nests.

(I know my Python is primitive. I'm just starting to program in it.)

Posted on
Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 am
Chameleon offline

Re: Nest Temperature Resolution

SSteve wrote:
Thanks a bunch for making this plugin. I've just started a temperature logging project and this is working perfectly for getting the temperature from my three thermostats. I've noticed that the temperatures (in Fahrenheit) are always whole numbers. Is this inherent in the Nest or am I getting the value incorrectly? Here's the pertinent code:

Code: Select all
import time
f = open ("/Users/steve/Documents/Temperature History/Temperature History.csv", "a")
f.write(time.asctime() + ", " + str(indigo.devices[622658917].sensorValue) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[1018854453].temperatures[0]) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[1176616821].temperatures[0]) + ", " + str(indigo.devices[986957268].temperatures[0]) + "\n")
f.close()

The first device is a Z-Wave multi sensor. The other three are Nests.

(I know my Python is primitive. I'm just starting to program in it.)

Steve

You python is fine... I'm learning as well :)

That's what the API provides for Fahrenheit scales. Centigrade is in 0.5C steps. I guess you could convert the Centigrade value to Fahrenheit to get slightly better resolution but I don't think it would be that much better.

Apparently the NEST can provide temperature changes in 0.1 (unit) steps but it's not accessible sorry :(

Maybe we could try and collaborate on the temperature logging project as I've been thinking of adding some graphs or at least Excel formatted files.

Mike

Page 1 of 1