NEST Home - Production Version

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:21 pm
Chameleon offline

NEST Home - Production Version

Please leave any feedback, ideas, suggestions or issues in this thread.

Mike

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:19 pm
mikeL offline

Re: NEST Home - Production Version

Oops! Installed the production version after disabling the previous beta version. Got numerous errors in the log leaving the plugin "enabled" but my Main Thermostat device and Nest Home Master device both disabled and showing red. I tried to edit these devices. Had to select another Nest Thermostat Module device type and Nest Home Master type (original device types with same names were greyed out in the selection list) to enable the devices. Unfortunately after saving the edits, I see that all my Triggers, Schedules and Actions referencing the original devices are now gone. Obviously, there's a problem!

I hope I can roll back the upgrade to the production version using Time Machine :shock:

Cheers,
Mike

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm
Chameleon offline

mikeL wrote:
Oops! Installed the production version after disabling the previous beta version. Got numerous errors in the log leaving the plugin "enabled" but my Main Thermostat device and Nest Home Master device both disabled and showing red. I tried to edit these devices. Had to select another Nest Thermostat Module device type and Nest Home Master type (original device types with same names were greyed out in the selection list) to enable the devices. Unfortunately after saving the edits, I see that all my Triggers, Schedules and Actions referencing the original devices are now gone. Obviously, there's a problem!

I hope I can roll back the upgrade to the production version using Time Machine :shock:

Cheers,
Mike

Sorry Mike. I'll look at it in the morning but I didnt get an issue in testing.

Mike

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:55 am
Chameleon offline

mikeL wrote:

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for highlighting this so quickly Mike. I suspect we saved a lot of people a lot of hassle - although I appreciate that wasn't much help to you! I was able to pull the download link very quickly and retest.

I've fixed the preference file issue now - lesson learnt for the future with Indigo Plugins - and I restored my indigo system back to the state it was before I upgraded. I've listed the files that need restoring (or folders more accurately) in the Latest Software Release forum. After I restarted the Indigo Server and then upgraded using the new files it behaved exactly as all other upgrades have done and didn't remove any schedules, triggers or actions that I'd already created.

Many thanks again - and sorry for the extra work you had to do.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:35 am
jenkins007 offline

I just had a Gen 3 installed. I setup my NEST account and successfully linked the thermostat to the Nest app on my iPhone. I tried to use Nest Home Version 2.0.53 using Indigo 7.2. The steps I took were to select "Configure ...", Click button to GET NEST PIN, Copied the PIN, then clicked GENERATE API KEY. That worked fine. I then clicked SAVE. I did not select or change any other item in the configure NEST Home window. The errors were logged after clicking SAVE.

Code: Select all
Apr 20, 2019 at 7:08:17 AM
   NEST Home Error                 Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 2134, in deviceUpdated
  File "plugin.py", line 2352, in dataChange
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

NEST Home Error                 Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

The Thermostat got created, and it shows the current temperature and the set values. I can use indigo to display and adjust cool/heat settings. But every minute (when it polls) these errors are reported:
Code: Select all
   Error                           device "Bedroom Thermostat" state key humidityInput1 not defined (ignoring update request)
   Error                           device "Bedroom Thermostat" state key humidityInputsAll not defined (ignoring update request)
   Error                           device "Bedroom Thermostat" state key humidityInput1 not defined (ignoring update request)

I really love this thermostat. I love the functionality features of the plugin. Thanks!

For the developer, several objects do not get populated or populated improperly - i.e. Time to Reach Target Temp is not populated, settings for these are backwards Heat/Cool, Heat/Cool Away, iHeat/iCool, iHeat/iCool Away, plus others. I will be happy to help. I will have 3 of these thermostats installed when construction is finished.
Last edited by jenkins007 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:33 pm
wikner offline

Nest cameras, thermostats, and Protects (smoke/CO detectors) all detect motion. Does this plugin support using such motion detect events as triggers in Indigo?

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:00 pm
dduff617 offline

wikner wrote:
Does this plugin support using such motion detect events as triggers in Indigo?

no.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm
netik offline

I am guessing with recent Google API changes that this plugin is dead forever, correct?

Should I throw out the NEST and get an Ecobee Wifi?

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:22 am
gt3mike offline

Not sure. There was some sort of caveat I read about elsewhere that said you couldn't use it if you had a GSuite account. I haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:11 pm
DVDDave offline

I'm pleased to report that I was able to use the new api to control and monitor my Nest thermostat with Indigo actions. Not being a coder, my implementation is very sloppy and I did this mostly as a learning exercise and to provide an interim solution for a few automation functions. I've been looking for a way to wrap the actions and variables into a virtual device but haven't found one.

Looking at the python code in the Nest Home plugin, I suspect it would not be too hard to adapt it to the new API. The curl commands that actually communicate with the thermostat seem very isolated and could probably utilize the new authentication scheme. I doubt I would be able to do it but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of python will step up to the challenge. I would be happy to do some testing and provide information about my experience in using the api if it would help.

--Dave

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 am
Sierra offline

Hi, any plan to update the plug-in to the new API?

I am not too technical and need to switch on/off a switcher (controlling another heating area) when Nest is heating or not. Just need to get Nest status but not sure how without a plug-in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:12 pm
mdlallemont offline

I too am instructed in the Nest Plugin being updated. I see that the http://homebridge.io server works with the Google API for Nest and there are hardware based solutions so this must be possible. I cannot imagine no one has looked into this unless Indigo is just not that popular anymore. I lost all of my configuration files due to a hard drive crash so have not used it in a while. I have everything back up and running except my Nest thermostat.

I have a technical background and could write what is needed to implement this although I don't hav much time. Anyone know the status of this?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:51 am
Sierra offline

Managed to do what I needed with home bridge but would be much better a direct integration with Indigo. I hope that now the API is being release this or a new plugin is released.

Posted on
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am
bsp9493 offline

anyone having any luck or making any progress with a new nest plugin??