[LOCKED] NEST Home Updated - Now you can control Fans!

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:27 pm
Chameleon offline

[LOCKED] NEST Home Updated - Now you can control Fans!

It's been the most requested feature for NEST Home - the ability to control a fan. So, after much help from BETA Testers I've finally understood what I had to do and you'll find there's a new version 1.3.21 that allows control of an independent fan!

Thanks for all the help - and I know that some of you will be very pleased!

Let's hope I got it right first time :D

Let me know how it goes for you!

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:01 pm
Jpaction offline

Re: NEST Home Updated - Now you can control Fans!

I wanted to turn my nest off with applescript. I have figured out how to set different modes but can't figure out how to turn it off.

I assumed it would be

set HVAC Mode of Device "Nest" to Off

since I can do the following without a problem

set HVAC Mode of Device "Nest" to coolOn

&

set HVAC Mode of Device "Nest" to heatOn

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 am
Chameleon offline

Jpaction wrote:
I wanted to turn my nest off with applescript. I have figured out how to set different modes but can't figure out how to turn it off.

I assumed it would be

&

One thought is that the API is very sensitive to case. I hit that issue a few times over the weeks.

The modes in the API are: heat, cool, heat-cool and off. Any deviation like "Off" will be rejected. Are coolOn and heatOn variables you've defined?

I've learnt that you have to be very careful and follow the format for any field updates strictly. e.g. to turn the fan on you have to post true not True as a value for the fan_timer_active even thought its a boolean. That one took me a week to find :shock:

Let me know how you get on. I'll trial commands later tonight if that doesn't work. I like applescript :)

Mike

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:34 am
Chameleon offline

Jpaction wrote:

I assumed it would be

&

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 am
Jpaction offline

I am using embedded applescript and the way to change from heating to cooling is

set hvac mode of device "Nest" to coolOn

To change from cooling mode to heating mode it's

set hvac mode of device "Nest" to heatOn

I've tried many forms of this for turning the Nest off but none seem to work. I do have a trigger that sets the "away" mode but it would be nice to turn it off as well.

Thx,

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:03 am
Chameleon offline

Jpaction wrote:
I am using embedded applescript and the way to change from heating to cooling is

set hvac mode of device "Nest" to coolOn

To change from cooling mode to heating mode it's

set hvac mode of device "Nest" to heatOn

I've tried many forms of this for turning the Nest off but none seem to work. I do have a trigger that sets the "away" mode but it would be nice to turn it off as well.

Thx,

Ok I've done a little digging and I found the following information for device commands in applescript.

hvac mode offMode / heatOn / coolOn / heatCoolOn / runProgramHeat / runProgramCool / runProgramAuto -- current thermostat mode

So I'm guessing that you need the first one which is certainly something I would never have thought of :D

All of the device commands/dictionary for indigo can be found here:

http://static.indigodomo.com/www/html/02300_indigo_as_dict.html#class_device__Indigo_Main_Suite

Never knew that table existed until you told me but now I do = thanks!

Hoping that answers the question - I know how frustrating it is when you're trying to get something to work.

Mike

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:16 am
Chameleon offline

I suspect that changing the away state is more difficult. The NEST can hold only two values - away and home. Although auto-away exists you can't set it to that. Whatever you're using to change the away trigger I'm guessing you need to do a similar thing but update the value to home.

How are you doing that?

Mike

Page 1 of 1