Nest Thermostats - What is the Current Status

Posted on
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm
jeramiah1945 offline

Nest Thermostats - What is the Current Status

I know that Google has made some changes to the way Nest Thermostats are controlled and I personally cannot get Indigo to connect to it. What is the current status? Is there a way to add Nest as a device or is it currently not available?

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Nest Thermostats - What is the Current Status

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the correct forum.

I don't use Nest thermostats so I haven't really been following, hopefully others will chime in.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:54 am
jeramiah1945 offline

I took another shot at it using the Next Home plugin and after getting a new API key setup, it actually works. So if you have a Nest thermostat, it does work with Indigo still, at least as of June, 2019.

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am
ckeyes888 offline

Still working fine for me as well. Haven’t changed a thing in years.

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:29 pm
dduff617 offline

I'm a long-time user of Nest Home Plugin for Indigo.

Google had originally announced a complete shutdown of "Works with Nest" at the end of August 2019. They since backed off and said that they will not actually kill or shutdown Works with Next, but that they would still "stop accepting new connections", which I assume means that they won't be issuing any new authorization keys. So I believe that new users will no longer be able to start using the Nest Home Plugin for Indigo at this time.

Later contributions in this thread seem to shift to the topic of whether Nest is "still working" with Indigo. My take is that Nest thermostats can no longer truly be considered working and "supported" in Indigo. In addition to changes announced in the last few months by Nest/Google, there are several other issues with the plugin documented here.

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:35 pm
teejay6 offline

I just migrated my Nest account to Google. The Nest Device States show Green Circles, but I am no longer receiving updates to my Nest Devices via the Nest Home plugin. The last update was posted at the time I completed the migration.

Posted on
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am
marketability offline

I just read an announcement from IFTTT that said google are not going to turn off the old NEST API. the aren't accepting any new registrations and it is of course unsupported.

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I thought this post from FlyingDiver was relevant to the conversation...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:03 am
jamboinafrica offline

Just received this from Google - hopefully we have google home integration on the way.

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

Google Nest
At Google Nest, we're putting people first and building technology around their needs, with a focus on creating whole home solutions that are truly helpful. Whether it's a Nest product or partner solution, we're committed to keeping our customers' data secure and respecting their privacy.

In May, we published a clear set of privacy commitments so Nest customers can understand how our technology works, and explain the safeguards we have in place to protect and secure their sensitive data. We're now offering our third-party ecosystem partners more ways to integrate with Nest products, but doing it built on a foundation of privacy and security.

Device Access Program
Device Access is a new program launching soon under the Works with Google Assistant program, offering a new way for partners to integrate directly with Nest devices. The program provides qualified partner access to the device API, where they can build integrated solutions for accessing, controlling, and monitoring owner-authorized Nest products within partner apps and solutions. The program provides Nest customers with more ways of controlling their products through partner solutions.

Privacy and security first
The Device Access program is built on a foundation of privacy and security, and is being piloted with a few select partners before it is more broadly available to commercial partners in the coming months. The program requires partner submittal of qualified use cases, acceptance of our NDA and Terms of Service, and completion of a security assessment before being allowed to utilize the device API for commercial use. The program process gives our users the confidence that commercial partners offering integrated Nest solutions have the right data protections and safeguards in place that meet our privacy and security standards.

Nest device access and control
The Device Access API currently allows partners, based on their presented use cases, to perform one or more of the following functions: gather certain information from Nest devices, enable control of thermostats, ability to access and view camera feeds, and receive doorbell notifications with images. Smoke alarm support is coming soon. All integrated solutions will also be required to request permission from end users before being able to access, control, and manage their Nest devices as part of the partner app, solution, or platform.

As part of the process, commercial partners need to:
Sign our Non-Disclosure Agreement
Submit use cases for assessment
Agree to our Device Access Terms of Service
Prepare your application for OAuth Verification, including the annual security assessment required for restricted scope applications
Device Access for individuals
We will also offer Individual user access, where you can create personal use integrations via the Device Access sandbox. These integrations won't be subject to a commercial use case assessment, but you have restricted access by a limited number of users per integration.
Availability and next steps
Device Access for commercial developers (app developers, device manufacturers, and platforms) will be available in early 2020 to qualified partners. The Individual Device Access sandbox will open in late 2020. We invite you to complete the following form to receive an email notification when commercial and individual Device Access programs are available.

Page 1 of 1