Feature Requests

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Feature Requests

I think I would prefer a standalone client for playing music -- it could still be one that connects to Plex. What about using a Raspberry Pi, Roku, or similar device as your audio source? As long as you get one that the Plex plugin can control, you would have Indigo-supported control AND retain the ability if you really wanted a specific song/album, be able to jump into the full Plex app. Just a thought.

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:13 pm
whmoorejr offline

All my audio is on a connected Drobo (along with movies, pictures, etc.). So Plex would always be able to use the music off that device, even if it's not my default player. iTunes is so native, but once you point iTunes at the folder where you stuff it, iTunes wants to manage the folder how iTunes wants to see it.... then it yells at you and asks for $10 / month for apple match to listen to your own music (or something like that).

... one that connects to Plex..... So far I have only attached one device to PLEX with mixed results (HD Homerun for live TV).... works great for recording and viewing on IOS, not on TVOS or any other PLEX client.. When you mention "connects to Plex" ... "plugin can control" ... are you talking about physical networked devices added to the Plex Server or Plex plugins within the Plex server?

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:42 pm
RogueProeliator offline

... one that connects to Plex..... So far I have only attached one device to PLEX with mixed results (HD Homerun for live TV).... works great for recording and viewing on IOS, not on TVOS or any other PLEX client.. When you mention "connects to Plex" ... "plugin can control" ... are you talking about physical networked devices added to the Plex Server or Plex plugins within the Plex server?

The Plex Media Manager (Indigo) Plugin can remotely control many different Plex clients -- for instance, if I am watching a Plex-based movie/audio/tv show on my Android tablet or Roku, I can actually stop/pause/play the client from the Plex plugin in Indigo.

So what I am suggesting is that you get another small piece of hardware -- be it a Raspberry Pi or Roku or whatever -- which has a Plex client and can play audio. Now, obviously I don't know your actual audio equipment and distribution, but I'm assuming you have an Audio In of some kind to which the client would be connected for distribution. The only thing you would have to be careful of in this setup (and I little research should answer) is that some clients -- like the Roku 2's Plex Channel allow control but is limited in what you can "push" to it. IIRC many clients will allow pushing, say, a playlist to it as long as the Plex client / channel is up. That is why one would need a dedicated device to consume the audio.

I'm not positive I explained that well or cleared it up. If needed I can take some more time tonight to detail it better.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:22 pm
whmoorejr offline

I get what you are saying.... I might go the raspberry route.... only because I haven't played with one yet and I have seen it as a solution for other stuff.... so I might as well get my feet wet. Next trick will be getting the audio on the raspberry pi into airfoil as a source. (This is where things break down.... getting all things working together). (already have the mac's input jack tied up with an echo dot as an audio source)... will probably need some sort of usb audio adapter to add another physical line-in.

Bill
My Plugin: My People